Is freedom indivisible?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, Aug 16, 2009.

1. I don't see how one can truly be free unless everyone else is also free. One person being enslaved or dominated is the same as freedom being enslaved and dominated. At our core we are free spirits, experiencing a physical reality which means going through suffering. Without all the suffering I've been through in life, I wouldn't have realized the peril that automatically befalls a physical body.

The only true freedom is equal (everyone has it, no one has more of it or less of it), solid (meaning everyone is permanently connected to it), and libertarian (we are in full control of our freedom).

When some people have "more" freedom than others, they really lose out because they live in a stifled reality where not all human beings can express their true, free selves. It's basically forgoing potential. :(

So, what do you all think? Is freedom indivisible?

2. with liberty and justice for all.
    [​IMG]

3. im with you on this one... i feel that.. "freedom", or our definition of freedom, is equally applicable to all human beings. we all have reason and freewill, and to deny the fact that our minds are free, unrestrained, unabaited.. is well, stupid and denies reality.

i dont know, im really fucking stoned. but i feel its true that humans inherently possess the tools to be truly free, and its all a matter of will, and choice whether or not they become free.

4. #4 Chronic777, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
    It must Be

When you wake up, you see its the dream, not Reality.

Reality is the ever free Being that we all are, that Being need not be saved or liberated

"There is no creation, no destruction, no bondage & no liberation, this is the final truth"
    Ramana Maharshi

No Beings to save, none that can benefit, nothing to lose & nothing to gain

We simply are Being, eternally

This is why the Self is reffered to as the ever free, the ever pure
    None can become that
    We are for ever that

5. I think most strive only for libertarian freedom, and miss out on the concept of freedom through your people

6. Good thing we have beer and TV to help us cope with that stifled reality.

I agree with your observation. The potential for a truly free society is limitless. Because of the inconsistencies in the distribution of freedom around the world, we have evolutionary bottlenecks such as war and the suppression and exploitation of certain peoples. Or something.

7. What exactly does it mean to be "truly free"?

Does it mean to be free of all other human interaction? Does it mean to be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want? Does it mean running in a field, arms stretched open wide, yelling "i'm freeeeeee"?

Freedom is not static, and it's not equal. We are all connected, and either through circumstance, choice, or force, we all give and take freedoms from each other every single day.

When you are 14 you have different freedoms then when you are 25, and you gain (and lose) freedoms when you retire at 65. When you are married you have different freedoms then when you are single. You have different freedoms on the weekend then you do during the work week.

I don't have the freedom (ie, the capability, skill or tools) to make myself the internet, so Comcast gives me that freedom.

Someone who murders someone else, takes another person's freedom, and also makes the choice to give up his own.

We all have the freedom to be our own "true selves" but only to the point that it doesn't infringe upon others.

That takes away a lot of your perceived freedoms.

8. #8 smokin-n-tokin, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
    yeah im in full agreement here. it should be equal and for all. but it isnt.

9. Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

10. Freedom should be equal, but it isn't. Its a sad but true fact of life. You are pretty much born into a certain catagory of freedom and most people will be limited to that bracket for their entire lives. Just think if you had been born into a impovished family in a 3rd world counrtry. You just don't have the resources to enjoy the same kind of life that others do, and there is very little you can do about it. No one is truely free, we are all bound and forced aginst our will by some opposeing force.

The only thing that we are all truely equal in is in our minds. No one can take away what you think. They may be able to control your every action, and as much as people may try, they can never control your thoughts. For example, if you think someone is a bitch, nothing they or anyone else can do can make you change your mind unless you want to. Even if they held a gun to your head and made you say you changed your mind, you don't ever have to change anything you think. You always have control of your mind.

11. Can we not close our eyes and see infinity?