Is Flushing Necessary?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by J-dubb, Aug 23, 2011.

1. So if I'm only using compost and compost tea, is it necessary to flush? If I understand correctly, isn't flushing performed to leech the built up salts out of the soil?

2. You don't HAVE to flush if you're using organic nutes, but I prefer to flush the last week for a cleaner tasting smoke.

3. I Do Not flush, the ash is snow white and the smoke does not burn at all. =

4. With organics there is nothing to "flush". The idea of "flushing" came from the synthetic nutrient industry, and is used to remove any residual nutrient salts in the medium, allowing the plant to TRY and use up the remaining nutrients that were force fed during the grow. With organic soils, nothing is being "force fed" to the plant, it just takes what it wants and needs when it needs it, and stops feeding when it's done.

5. Flushing an organic soil is about on par with looking for the flush handle in a PortaPotty set-up at the state fair.

LD

6. Thanks y'all. I had a feeling it wasn't really necessary for organic.

My friend thinks he knows everything there is to growing because he dumped a few $1000 into a grow room. I try to explain to him how microbes and compost help out the plant and then he asks "Yeah but what fertilizer are you feeding it?" And then he always asks if I've been flushing.

7. Sounds like the perfect candidate to run a grow store