Is floros NECESSARY for beginning?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jonny Drama, Feb 12, 2007.

1. I am about to be using a 400 watt hps. Alotta people say that first put them on fluro's the switch to hps for flowering. I am in college so my budget is incredibly small. Is it possible to grow all the way through with a 400 watt hps if put at proper height?

2. u dont need to but the hps is kinda rough on the seedlings
    flouros are only like 12 dollars anyway for a 200w output

3. No, no they are not.

4. There is a good chance that your young seedlings will stretch under the hps becuase you will have to have it a fair distance away to keep the intensity getting too high for the seedlings. Go and buy 2 40 watt 4 foot floro's for 3 bucks a piece get the daylight ones. The light fixture for them should only be 15 bucks if you cant spare 20 bucks to veg up to 8 or 10 seedlings large enough to put under your hps then used the hps but thats my advice.

5. No, fluoros are not needed for any point of your grow.

Once you figure out the light to plant distance, a 400 watt hps is great for starting seeds, vegetative growth and flowering.

I've used my 1000 watter to start seeds before (talk about a fine line between burning them and watching them stretch). ;)

6. My 2 week old girl is doing very good. Im using a 400w hps right now and at the beginning i kept it about 2 feet away and once it got a little more established i put it down to about a foot away cause i noticed it was strecthing for light i also have a ossilating fan that blows directly on the light ficture/plant the whole time the lights are one, but once the lights are off everything shuts off pumps light and fan.

7. I disagree. If the light is moved away because any closer would be too intense, then keeping it a couple of feet away won't be too little light.

You don't need to start with fluoros. You can start with the HPS, true it will be too intense if too close to the plant, start with it 2+ feet above and lower a few inches every few days.

8. i use a 400w hps for seedlings that just surfaced...mines a tempered glass setup but i keep it about 24" away until its on its 2nd set of fan leaves, than i move it to about 16" away