Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is decarbing necessary?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by dreupsisfasterthanfedex, May 1, 2016.

1. Ok so when you make edibles you are supposed to decarb the ganja before mixing it with butter/coconut oil or whatever fatty material you are using to absorb the thc. However is it necessary to decarb it before adding it, because aren't you heating the fatty material to melt it, so why couldn't the ganja be decarbed and mixed in one step?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Very necessary. I made brownies once with un-decarbed weed
    butter and didn't feel a thing.

Fast forward a couple of years, my brownies would probably
    knock you out they're so potent.

Don't know why it wont decarb while being heated in butter,
    but it doesn't. Maybe someone with more knowledge on
    the subject will come along and explain it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. all depends on what you're making, to be honest.

For something that only bakes for 10-15 minutes like cookies I'll decarb fairly strong but for something that takes twice as long to bake or longer like brownies, I'll only decarb like half way because its going to be in the oven at 350F for upwards of 45 minutes.

And things like hard candy dont necessarily require decarbing beforehand because of how absurdly hot you have to get it.

But it really all boils down to what you're looking for. A longer/hotter decarb will convert more of your THC/CBD into CBN which is very sedative(I love it lol).

• Like Like x 2
  4. IME the decarb function works best in open air.. Your kicking off a C02 and an H20 molecule from the carboxyl group of the THCA as I understand it and from my extensive personal testing decarb is absolutely necessary before mixing with your oil solvent..
    The old butter recipes called for up to an 8 hour cook in a misguided attempt to make up for the lack of a proper decarb up front.. We've learned so much since then you just don't need hours of processing like that..
    [​IMG]
    I've made in the neighborhood of 4000 caps to date so I think I know what I'm doing by now..
    I've changed the basic recipes back and forth and worked with every oil under the sun just for my own peace of mind.. Played with all 3 types of lecithin and the various ratios of lecithin to oils.. Came back to Bad Kats basic blends and directions when it was all said and done..
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  6. 420tt
    The accepted decarb now stands at 240 F degrees for 40 minutes.. Covered dish, Sealed foil pouch, Oven cooking bag.. Not plastic.. While you can just bake it on a cookie sheet many low temp volatiles will evaporate off and we'd rather capture as much of that as possible..
    I work with 160 micron dry ice kief as that's what I can do most effectively in the back yard and I've made oil with the same grade hash-kief for a multitude of batches and did my own testing with just about every oil I could purchase as well as everything in our own cupboards..
    Same with the lecithin.. Tried all 3 forms in various ratios and came back to the 1/6th by volume Bad Kats basic recipe calls for.. More doesn't hurt but leaving it out drops the strength of the finished oil by 50%
    [​IMG]
    5 grams decarbed hash
    2.5 teaspoons coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon soy lecithin.. ( liquid, granules or powder)
    Blend and heat covered for 20 minutes at 220 degrees F then freeze.. 2-3-4 more heat and freeze cycles will improve consistency, flavor, and change the effects to more sleep aid..
    Makes enough oil to fill 30 size (0) caps or blend with the oil called for in any baked good and follow normal cooking directions.. Do cut small as this is 30 very potent doses..
    Replacing the hash with decarbed fine ground buds will give a strong oil just not this potent..
    I use the same 160 micron dry ice hash for making a very basic tincture with 1 gram of hash to 1 ounce of 151 ever clear drinking grade grain alcohol.. Mix and go it needs zero time to be ready.. I don't bother to strain the hash bits out as they don't bother me even in a bottled beverage..
    A couple of eye droppers in your drink or under your tongue is fast and effective..
    [​IMG]
    mrsilly does some hash-alcohol reductions to boost the strength of his oils if I remember correctly and Sams thread has detailed directions on the various alcohol based Dragons as well..
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  7. Do u decarb the hash before mixing with alcohol? If not what kind of effect does it have?

Sent from my XT1254 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1