Is daily pH down(Nitric Acid) causing Nitrogen Toxicity??

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Sweet_green, Apr 21, 2011.

1. I have to adjust my rez pH down to 5.5 from 6.5-7.5 once a day. I use Technaflora's pH down which is Nitric Acid. From my research, Nitric acid breaks down into Nitrogen for the plants.

I have leaf tip "hook" on my fan leaves. My EC is only 0.8-1.0 with no other signs of nute burn.

Any chance adding this pH down every day is raising the Nitrogen level and giving my plants slight N toxicity?

Thanks

2. You might want to look for a pH down product that is made with phosphoric acid as it's entirely possible that you're getting too much N from the nitric acid.

General Hydroponic's pH down is one that contains phosphoric acid.

chunk

3. Sounds to me like you have hard water...
    I used to have the same type of issue before I got an RO filter;)

Hard water has a lot of calcium, (and other crap), in it.
    The pH down neutralizes the calcium temporarily....
    By the next day... The over abundance of calcium takes over & the cycle continues until you finally equalize the pH..,

But... By then your ppm will probably be high enough to need a water change:eek:
    And the circle continues:devious:

A lot of people think an RO unit is not necessary for hydro...
    I know... With my water... It would be nearly impossible for me to grow proper MJ:rolleyes:

Just my two cents...

4. I use an RO and General Hydroponics PH Down.

The Acid formulation uses food grade Phosphoric acid to lower the pH to the proper level.

GENERAL HYDROPONICS

I'm still very new to the whole thing, but from what I've gathered, you should invest in an RO and get some of the stuff in the link.

Chunk seems to be right a lot from what I've seen on this site...

5. weather we are all GH salesman or it's true.... I myself use GH ph down and up (and their nutes too ) and I have sailed through my grow smooth and easy... no such problems...... and of course RO gives you the peace of mind of starting with proper water

good luck

6. Hey thanks for the info, I'll look into changing my pH down to maybe the GH one.

My tap water is very clean, giving an EC of .03 which is like 15-20ppm. The water out my RO unit has the same EC so I don't think my water is the issue.

The pH of my water from the tap is around 7.0, and if I let it sit for a couple days it can go up to over 8.0.

Can I flush with just plain water to try and remove some of the Nitrogen in my plants as I'd like to cut soon, and don't want too much nitrogen in them. Or do I need to adjust the pH even for a plain water flush?

Thanks again

7. don't want to hijack your thread, but i think i am having the exact opposite problem as you, I am using the GH ph down about as often as you are using the technaflora, and I'm starting to wonder if it's causing a lockout from a buildup of phosphoric acid. It may have something to do with my hard water, as my ppms from the tap after sitting out over night still sits at 150.