Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is dabbing too dangerous?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by camram, Jun 26, 2012.

1. So I heard some guy at the SF Cannabis Cup was taken to the hospital with a collapsed lung. Younger guy and some said maybe he ingested too much butane.

Did this happen because of dabbing? Smoking too much?

I like to think weed is safer than almost anything but how did this happen?

2. If you make bho right then all the butane is evaporated... Weird comming from the CanCup... Hmm

3. Maybe he took such a big hit... and he coughed so hard... his lung was like "fuck it, im tapping out" and just collapsed

4. So does this mean he won't be able to medicate with combustibles anymore?

5. damn that's scary

6. I think you are talking about magweedo. His lung collapsed in the weeks before the cannabis cup. Keep in my mind he was a cigarette smoker. Also he would take huge dabs. But there is always a risk if the concentrates weren't made properly.

7. I honestly don't know dude. I just said some random.shit I threw together because im high. But I mean it it completely plausible. Actually probably the most plausible.

I don't think it means he can't smoke anymore. My grandma had a collapsed lung before, I think during one of her many surgeries, and she still breathes fine. It will probably just take some lung rehabilitation

8. I haven't heard about this fellow, or any similar cases, but it's probably not likely that it's due to properly made concentrates, or due to the correct use of vaping/smoking equipment.

Many people smoke cannabis flowers with all that extra inert plant matter, very heavily, and still don't need to worry about collapsed lungs.

Grow or buy the herb and trim yourself, make your own concentrates with the highest grade, purest, healthiest solvents (I prefer ethyl/grain alcohol for patients), be sure you make them properly, and you'll know what's in the end product.

And always be sure you know what materials your tools are made from, whether they are applied during the crafting, or the end-use of your concentrate. :)

9. He probably just tried to take too big of a hit and literally coughed up a lung, not scary to me, I smoked bongs for like 5 years and sometimes, especially when adding concentrates I would cough so hard I would black out momentarily. So basically, bongs are out of the picture, especially now that I don't live with smokers.

Anyone who knows how to make proper BHO, let alone a Cannabis Cup batch, knows how to make sure there isn't any butane left.

10. He said he doesn't smoke tobacco, but here is what Magweedo said on Facebook:

[quote name='"Magweedo"']
    It happened because it can happen. Spontaneously. It had nothing to do with smoking marijuana, and I don't smoke tobacco. It happened because of my build, and was physically moving.[/quote]

11. He was moving when it happened? What does build have to do with it?

12. Magweedo did fucking 17 dabs in a row.. the guy is a beast. Although you are correct, his lung collapsed before the CC. He also does not smoke tobacco.

Edit: Dissec beat me to it :)

13. A little off topic but the cup was fuckin awesome!!

I feel like more time is needed to see the full effects of BHO on the body I don't think it has been studied for long enough to tell whether it is more or less harmful than flowers.

14. He OD'ed brah :)

15. Still missing where his build and him moving played a role? But yeah 17 dabs in a row is crazy but I bet others were doing the same thing

16. I was there and didn't hear about it.

17. thin...tall...smoking heavy on anything...bad juju there...

2 freinds from way back each had teh same builds, smoked, one tobacco only, other weed as well, each had lungs collapse several times to date while walking, riding a mower, driving...other activity things gentlemen do not discuss concerning ladies...all out of nowhere.

I think it's lack of meat on them there ribs myself...;)

boy wants to stay healthy the he needs to beef up...
    [​IMG]:p

18. Hmm, I'm just assuming because he is skinny, no muscle, no meat and he always takes monster dabs all day so maybe his lungs just had enough after a while.

I have no idea lol that was just a guess.

19. Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Collapsed Lung Causes on eMedicineHealth

That covers the build, I'd think the moving was just him putting extra pressure on his lungs.