Is cooking food at work fun?

Discussion in 'General' started by tokatoka420, May 10, 2013.

1. Remember the thread I asked about lying on your resume? I got the job at this concert place and im gonna be cooking food. Theres about 16K people in this concert place and only 5 food stands so I'll be cooking a lot of food.

I've never cooked food at a workplace before. Is it fun? do the days go by fast? My shifts are 7 hours.

Ill be cooking hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, fries etc.

2. Are you good at cooking? Have you ever grilled anything? If not screw you, after I get drunk at a concert I'm hungry as fuck and I damn sure dont want some nasty ass food.

3. nah training is next week and they're teaching us all that shit and when the concerts done we stop selling food

4. cooking food is pretty sweet as work. rushes suck.

just gotta stay cool and calm and shit usually works out.

5. its pretty fun. i always like cooking though. smells good all day.

6. I dunno cause I've only been a prep cook and a dish washer. Actually I have been a cook if you count Burger King. But yeah it sucks balls during rushes. But then you go home and get high and forget about it and start over the next day.

7. If the staff is cool people, yeah, it's a hell of a lot of fun.
    But 200 pounds of meatballs, that was most definitely not fun.

8. i agree alota work places suck because of the boss's and co workers....some work places that suck are great to work at because of the people you work with, so it all depends...

9. I would think it is. But I love to cook at home for myself and my family if they ask me to.
    Home made pizza and beer batter blueberry pancakes are my specialties.

10. Cooking food is fun, until you HAVE to cook food (as in a job). I had worked in the food industry for a few years, in many types of restaurants, and came to hate my job. Its very stressful and you have to be on the ball all the time. I have no problems with being on the ball but when it comes to stress, I can only take so much. Being stressed all the time was not how I wanted to live my life. If you have no idea what you are doing, or what you are getting into, you may not have a good experience.

11. I used to have the best job cooking. I worked at a pizza place and my boss was in Costa Rica most the time because he ran a surf shop. Anyways he was kool with us smoking weed under the hood vent during wood because you couldn't see it from the resteraunt. Also my manager was my dealer at the time. I had awesome times there just getting in the zone and making some rally awesome food ( everything there was made from scratch ) and getting to smoke at work.

12. I like cooking but doing it for a job can be different depending on what kind of place. A pizza place seems chill although I've never worked at one. My experience is it can be very hectic if it's slammed and you have several things to take care of. If it's steady time will probably go by decently fast. You'll probably want a good toke session after work because it sounds like you're going to be slammed, lol.

It really depends depends how many different things you have to take care of and how the kitchen is set up. It shouldn't be hard though, just busy.

13. I'm a cook at a hotel and it can definitely be fun and like anything it can get old fast, especially when I have to grill off like 500 steaks

14. Pretty much hits the nail on the head with this one. Cooking can be fun at first and your days go by fast. But after cooking the same stuff so many times it starts to become monotonous and not to mention stressful during the rushes.

15. Its ok at my work. People make complicated orders. I am 6'3 and all the other cooks are between 4'10 and 5'7, so the table is low and it hurts my back when I have to bend down and cook for a long time.

16. Cooking in a busy restaurant is not a fun job, it can be very stressful at times. But, I have a passion for cooking that keeps me doing it proudly. Even when I'm sweating my ass off in front of the grill with a bad case of swamp-ass(you other cooks know what I'm talking about lol), there's a great feeling that I get knowing that people are out there enjoying the food I've prepared for them.

17. Glad to hear its working out for you, I hope I didn't deter anyone with my last post. Its a really great gig if you have the heart for it, but that's the thing, you need to have the heart. That was my problem, I loved every minute of it (except the stress) but when I sat down and really looked at my options I decided it wasn't what I wanted to do for the next ~40 years of my life.

Good for you though man, OP if it is something you are truly interested in go for gold.

18. I wouldn't say it's fun but the day will go by hella fast if you're cooking for that many people. More work = less time to think about how much work sucks