Is Cannabis Cultivating into a Bio-Threat to National Security?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by lbmdna, Apr 20, 2019.

1. What's surprising about this? We have GMO plants of thousands of species.

Look at the apples you eat. Its loaded with pesticides as well. And you eat them and guess what your fine.

Same with cannabis. If you don't want government food or bud then grow it yourself.

You can get seeds easily online then grow danker bud than what's sold legally.

2. Misplaced assumptions and a lack of critical thinking (or the lack of thinking things through to all possible consequences) is what I read in your words here.
    I would be repeating much of what you have stated here if I either didn't know any better, or if I was intentionally hoping to mislead people for some reason.

3. I'm sure everything is bad these days dude. Growing your own solves the problem and do in a green way.

Outdoors and free. With compost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. What I'm asking for is the name of one company who is working or planning to work on GMO cannabis. Working on like in making it happen, not working on regulating activity that isn't happening yet. There is no GMO cannabis varieties at this point anywhere in the world, at least not in the physical world, maybe there is in the virtual world.

5. "Dude" growing your own is not where you're going off the track of good sense, almost everyone grows where I live.
    Most folks here are calling for regulating gmcannabis just for that reason.
    In other words they don't want gm cross pollination contamination.

6. Ed didn't you read the response to this?
    There has been 8 patents applied for in Canada, that means that there are at least 8 strains of gmcannabis out there right now that we know of. Of course one can figure there are likely many more we simply dont know of yet and frankly have no way of finding out until the creators come forward.
    Right now in the USA it's not popular to come forward announcing your new gmcannabis, so folks involved in bio-engineering are keeping it quiet until the feds make it legal, at which point they would apply for their patents and thereby making it known to the public, then you will have more answers to your question.

7. Yes, I replied to that. I asked for a source naming one of those companies but you misunderstood and gave me the Canadian government. So I googled it and saw that Monsanto had indeed patented a GMO cannabis plant but they were keeping it's purpose a secret....they're not saying what's special about it. Then I googled a little more and found this... FACT CHECK: Did Monsanto Create the First Genetically Modified Strain of Marijuana? saying it wasn't true. Monsanto apparently is denying they are even working on it.

So do you have a source naming a company that has produced or intends on producing GMO cannabis? And how do you feel about engineering bacteria or yeast to produce cannabinoids?

8. Ed if I wanted to feed ya bs I could have linked you to that fake Monsanto story myself.
    I reiterate, American company's are not disclosing that info as of yet for the same reasons Monsanto wouldn't disclose working on such projects if they were, it's not legal at the federal level.
    To your point about bio-engineering bacteria to produce cannabinoids, I don't know enough about it to have any relevant opinion. I would say though that I have never had a problem producing oil with all the cannabinoids I need through natural plant production.

9. How do you know American companies are even working on it if they are keeping it a secret?

Gene splicing bacteria is a great way of producing medicines made by plants or animals. Inserting the gene responsible for making the cell structure that produces a cannabinoid from a cannabis plant into a microorganism such as a bacteria or a yeast will make it produce the cannabinoid. They can produce the cannabinoid in a big vat of bacterial soup. I was involved in a study back in the early '80s to monitor how effective a med produced by bacteria was in stopping heart attacks. Look up TPA, a clot dissolving drug if you're interested in specifics but that drug became the first line of defense for heart attack victims, it became the standard treatment and was given in the ER and coronary care units all over the world but it cost about $3,500 a dose in 1980s dollars.

I suspect the Canadian companies who want to GMO cannabis are actually gene splicing a cannabinoid producing gene into a yeast or bacteria cell instead of modifying the cannabis plant itself. Which should be good news to you.

10. I wish that were true about the Canadian companies, but the Canadian gov was pretty specific in responding to my questions on this, they wrote back that 8 patents have been applied for cannabis plant varieties.
    To your first point, I never wrote that American companies were doing gmcannabis, though individuals involved in the cannabis industry have claimed off the record that they are gene editing in attempt to achieve certain traits.
    I would add though that American companies would be practicing a form of capitalism I'm not familiar with if they are not developing gmcannabis in anticipation of the coming shift in federal law.
    The work you were involved with sounds interesting, thanks for the tip, I'll try and get up to speed if I can.

11. Okay, I guess we'll see. There's a tremendous amount of fear of GMO products being ginned up and it's been going on for many years. It's much worse in Europe, I've even heard of GMO products such as foods made with modified plant products being made illegal. I'm not losing any sleep over it, even if someone does one day produce a GMO cannabis seed there's nothing for us to worry over, no one will be forcing us to use it. We've had the GMO debate here in Grasscity many times over the years. We once had many more users from the left and that seems to be where most of the fruitcakes come from, not that the right doesn't have their share.

Here's a couple of articles talking about what I was referring to, Canadian companies working on modifying yeast cells to produce cannabinoids.

Cannabis grown from yeast: does the future of pot lie in a lab?
    Coming soon to a lab near you? Genetically modified cannabis

12. Thanks for the links Ed, it's always interesting exchanging thoughts with ya.

13. I dont know about yours but mine has been having teeny tiny dead seed pods all in it to the point its worse than plain old seeded neon buds .is it cause they are fems ? maybe its just the specific strain.?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

14. Are they grown from seed or cuttings?
    Honestly I don't trust anything for sale by mail or from someone I don't know.
    Everything is so flooded with mystery genetics at this point, it's hard to truly know where your genes are coming from.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I had a crop do that when I let it go too long. I could only see a few amber and it kept putting out new pistils. That's the year I learned about foxtails.

• Like Like x 1