Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is butane a serious problem?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Magic_Man, May 28, 2009.

1. Then why in the hell are you reading this thread? The solution is simple. If you don't like these threads, don't read them.

This reminds of those idiots who complain about the "inappropriate" content of TV programs. Like here, the solution is simple. If ya don't like what's being shown on a particular tv channel, fucking change the channel.

No one's forcing you to watch that channel, and no one here is forcing you to read a thread that you don't like or have no interest in.

2. No need to be hostel young lad, read the REST of that post, and it shall make sense.

3. Lighters first of all dont all use butane(most use naptha). Though butane does burn cleanly(only water and carbon dioxide are produced) not all of the butane is combusted.

Pure butane is not exactly healthly for you but at the levels acquired from normal use is nothing to worry about.

Lighters are not the best to use when tokeing because they are too hot and damage the cannabanoid molequles; not because they are more dangerous than other methods.

4. Roll a blunt. You only have to light it once.

5. I have another idea. Use the stems from your bud to light it, basically is what a beeline is except it comes with it .

6. I have another idea. Don't get baked. Get vaked. :hello:

7. Just like a few others said, it gives off CO2. YOu really dont want that, sure use a toarch lighter for a blunt, but never use it for a bowl or bong hit, thats hard. And itll torch weed faster.

8. #28 gman7104, May 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
    So many people are wrong about butane. Honestly, wikipedia, google, do whatever, you'll see that the only byproducts of combusted butane are C02 and H20. Your right in saying that all combustions give off that, but butane is a extremely simple and organic compound, when it's burned, it gives off nothing except water vapor and c02.

granted, if you shoot the flame deep in your bowl, you will probably be inhaling some non combusted butane, which is bad.

One thing I have to say is, if you torch your bowl, with any flame whatsoever, you will significantly rob yourself of a hit. C02 shortens your hit really quick, so you want as little of C02 to be inhaled as possible.

9. Yeah i usually do this, its just i wanted to bowl it up that day...

10. no offense but did all of you fail chem? Or do they not cover combustion very well in high schools now? Only a complete combustion reaction produces just H20 and CO2. To have a complete combustion reaction you need to have an excess of oxygen. The air around us does not contain that percentage of oxygen so your lighter will have an incomplete combustion reaction resulting in H2O, CO2, CO(carbon monoxide), C(carbon), and also unburned portions of the fuel.

For anybody who doesn't believe me I have a few simple experiments that you can try to test it out:

Take an empty pop/beer/whatever can. You can use any metal object but it will get dirty so I picked something that you can get rid of afterwards. Now light your lighter and hold it beneath the can in such a way that the flame is not touching the can. After a second or so put down your lighter and run your finger across the bottom(please wait for it to cool first). Your finger will come away black. The black stuff on your fingers commonly known as soot is the carbon from the incomplete reaction.

Another experiment to do. Hold your lighter lit near your waist to avoid the heat. Now position your nose above the lighter and sniff. If it were a complete reaction you would smell nothing.

I'm not denying that butane can be a clean burning fuel; However in practice using lighters in regular environments will not produce that ideal result

11. BUMP!!!! Who the fucks gonna argue with that!!!!! haha nice post bro.

12. wlcom to GC!

13. thanks man...im a member of rollitup.org but i think there network is down right now...this place is EXACTLY like rollitup....im thinkin the same person/persons made both sites.

14. um nowhere is exaclty like grasscity

15. Its four carbons and 10 hydrogens.

16. Yeah Mr. Science guy, but can you name all 6 types of reactions? W/O wikipedia :devious:

17. Wow.... i feel like im in a science class. hahaha.

i like GC :)

18. #38 Occultivator, May 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
    What is this based on?

Shank isn't the Science guy...

[​IMG]

19. Source:Erowid Cannabis Vault : THC Material Safety Data Sheet

BOILING POINT: 392 F (200 C)

Lighter temp =~1900 celsius

Source: Flame temperatures

Therefore the temp of your lighter is 800x hotter than required. Chemistry tells us that in these situation bonds are broken.
    When bonds are broken the molecules is altered/destroyed and becomes useless to you.

20. +rep for backing up your shit rather than being insulted. (Also for using Erowid :cool:)

Hmm.. Most incandescent bulbs burn at around 300 C, I wonder if you can vaporize with bulb heat..