Is belief a choice?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by DarthBizzle, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ummmmm...why not?

2. Because then you'd be not choosing not to choose.. which would mean not thinking about it at all, right? Wouldn't that be simple programming?

3. #43 Verdurous, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Just cause. Like you can't function without choosing. Like choosing to start walking.

4. Yes but I think you can choose to choose.. as in weighing the options, instead of acting on impulse.

5. Presumably there was a time when you were ignorant of whatever it is you believe. If the question is "is belief in the untestable a choice," the answer is most certainly "yes." If the question is "is belief in the evident a choice," the answer is a qualified yes and a practical no. You can choose not to believe the evident, but what would you replace it with?

6. Speak for yourself my friend ;)

What if everything that could possibly happen already exists? What if all possible choices already exist even though you feel certain you have free will to make them? The things you will do, the actions you will take, the desires that will pull you, the people you will love and who will love you, already exists, and is based on who you truly are not who you think you are right now. You, the ego, may believe you're choosing your path from moment to moment, but you are not.

Am I saying the actual reality of your life already exists in some existential alternative dimension so that if you had some machine you could go there and see it? Probably not. Can you learn to become a true collaborator in your journey where you not only feel you make choices that have a real and profound difference on your life, but then find you have no need to do so as the alignment you now have with the Universe just does it all for you? Definitely.

7. yes you can....but this would still be a choice....;):smoking:

now you would have to define "function" cus im sure not everyone would define it the same;):smoking:

8. I think it can be, but not all the time.

9. #49 Verdurous, Aug 14, 2011
    Not everyone would be correct. Try the dictionary because that's what I use for my standard definitions.

10. the dictionary is fine for standard definitions.....
    but i dont think i have ever seen a standard life?
    i am rather sure that what "functioning" is to one life.......may not be what the next life considers it to be....

people ......being different from one another..... have a tendency to each have their own ideas of what they will except....
    and of what it takes for them to function.....

this just is........

what works for you .....may not work at all for the next guy....;):smoking:

11. #51 Verdurous, Aug 15, 2011
    The details are irrelevant. They don't matter in this situation.

12. how so? because you say so?
    or because it doesnt fit whit how you want it to be?
    sorry ...the world doesnt work that way....;)

whether you like it or not......
    people do on occasion -"choose not to choose"
    and they continue to "function" just fine.....

and the details are always relevant.....in this situation and all others....

saying that they dont ...is like saying the numbers dont mater in a math problem?

you assumptions make you sound like you think everyone must think the same way you do.....
    and we dont.....;):smoking:

13. Because we aren't talking about a specific life. We're talking about all lives. Details don't apply because then we wouldn't be talking about choice, but only choice in people's lives who have such and such circumstances. I was talking about NEVER choosing, which is IMPOSSIBLE. Sure it's possible to have a situation and choose and alternative (although you're still choosing, so I don't get where you're going with this). How am I trying to say everyone thinks the same way I do. That's just ad hominem nonsense. lol I'm explaining what I was saying and how people have to make a choice at some point during their lives. I'm saying it's impossible to go through life and NEVER make a choice. You couldn't choose to walk, you couldn't choose to function. These are choices people make. We aren't just robots that do everything automatically. Even if someone tells you what to do in all instances, you still have to choose that you're going to obey or ignore them. What I'm saying applies to everyone in a circumstances because I'm providing that the details are irrelevant variables.

14. #54 dirtydingusus, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011

so this line of reasoning you are attempting to drag me down....
    doesnt hold up.......sorry

to talk about "all lives" from your perspective.....assumes that all lives are like the one you know....
    and sorry...but they just are not.....
    as for your adhom.....again...saying it- still doesnt make it so..... and you are still assuming you can know how it is for everyone.....and that is simply foolish....

we are not robots....but we do many things on instinct and out of reaction.....making no conscious choice at all......

a mosquito bites your arm...you instantly slap it..... was that a choice?
    or a learned reaction?
    cant function huh?

btw-you are going back too far.....
    this is where i am....
    yes i can.....
    actually i can "function" without even being aware or conscious -never mind choosing anything......

and here as well...
    again....just cus you say so....doesnt make it so....
    just cus you say the details dont mater...doesnt make them any less important....
    i sure as hell dont fit into your assumed world view where everyone is the same.....

nothing outside of biological similarities "applies to everyone" no matter how much you want it to......

btw-the details are what make up the whole...without them you have nothing at all......;):smoking:

:rolleyes:

that statement alone......really does nothing for your credibility....at all.......

15. I'm not trying to drag you down... I'm getting the feeling you're trying to drag me down.

I'm not talking about all lives from my perspective. I'm talking about the 'objective view of all lives'. They don't have to be like mine for what I'm saying to apply. Are you telling me that what I'm saying doesn't apply to all lives? I mean I guess if someone was so mentally retarded they didn't have any concept of reality, them maybe there could be a lack of choice, but they'd have to be practically a vegetable. Saying I'm foolish and assuming all other lives are like my own is ad hominem and it isn't even true.

Yeah, a lot of things, but not everything? What are the other things? CHOICES MAYBE? lol

Ok, I'm not saying choice applies to everything. I'm saying it's impossible not to encounter choice.

You obviously define function differently than the dictionary does. lol Sure, by your definition, a person in a coma can 'function' they're still living, right and never make any choices?

It's my argument. It's my point, so it does make it so. You don't have the liberty to write things and say I said it. It doesn't work that way and, like you say, just because YOU say so doesn't make it so. I have no assumed world view. These are your words and your inaccurate perceptions of what I'm actually trying to say. No matter how many times I tell you that you're understanding me wrong, you keep repeating these ridiculous ad hom attacks. Why?

We're talking about biological similarities. We all have brains and a biological manifestation of free will created by electrical signals buzzing through our brain.

Exactly, we aren't talking about SOMEONE we are talking about NO ONE.

16. You're evaluating me for credibility? On an internet forum? You expected me to have credibility? :eek: I'm some guy you're talking to online OF COURSE I HAVE NO CREDIBILITY. It's not like I had to supply a fucking resume to sign up here... and neither did you. We both have no credibility whatsoever. :rolleyes:

17. you want people to buy into your idea....or you wouldnt be trying to convince me of it?
    btw- i still disagree with you........;):smoking:

yet you insist that what you are saying applys to everyone?

there are many states the human and be found in -which apply-that are far from your "retard" assumption........

18. No, I could not care less whether you agree or not, but I want my stance to be understood, not construed to some bullshit I would NEVER assert.

Not all humans are human. <--- This is your argument? Really?

Well, to clarify, I'm not talking about people who already have impaired functioning. Sorry if I took that for granted in my statements. I didn't realise someone would really be willing to take my argument there. :rolleyes:

19. #59 dirtydingusus, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
    i completely understand your point...and still disagree....
    maybe you just are not so great at wording your shit...so i see in it something other then your intention....or maybe i just read too deep into shit....i have a long standing habit of seeing the world in a much different way then those round me;):smoking:

not all humans fit your description of "all humans"- this is my point
    to try and define something that is far from standard- using standard definitions.....just doesnt work so well.....it leaves to much out.....
    (remember those details.....they still count....)

i take everything there....as that is where i live;):smoking:

you did say all right?now your saying not all?:confused:

btw- just cus i may not be playing fair.....
    i do not completely disagree with you.....parts of me like to believe that everything we do is choices.....
    maybe you missed some of what i posted earlier in this thread..;):smoking:

i have often felt that everything comes down to what we chose to do with it...that life is nothing but a series of challenges and choices..
    sometimes i still feel this way ....while other times i feel that we have no choices at all......and what happens is what is going to happen regardless of choice.....
    sometimes i feel that destiny and fate are all predetermined.....
    and shit is going to happen the way it does regardless.....
    and sometimes i feel that this idea is fucking dumb.....and everything is choices.....
    in the end i often come to the conclusion that none of it fucking matters anyway.....

then i remember that it is only what you make of it......and there i am back to having to choose....;):smoking:

20. Of course not. Your beliefs are predetermined by your experiences. You have very, very little control over what you experience as an adult. You had absolutely no control over what you experienced as an infant and child.
    There are very few people who are not slaves in this world.
    You'll read this and think you're different. "Oh, maybe other people... But not me. I have control over my thoughts and beliefs. I have free will." It's an expected introspection bias...
    Everything you have, you were given. You took your beliefs, but you only took what was given to you. Like a baby grasping for her mother's nipple, you never got to choose what kind of milk you got. You got what you were given... Yet in the most ignorant state, some exclaim that by the mere action of grasping for nourishment, you chose what kind of food you got. How ridiculous!
    I am a slave, but I am thankful for all I am given. To give thanks is the least I could do, I wish I could give more back!