Is being single REALLY that bad? Or are relationships just really awesome?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by NGC224, May 25, 2010.

1. #1 NGC224, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
    Seems like there are a lot of guys on this forum who are lonely and depressed because they're reclusive introverts with no girlfriends ("I'm so lonely" thread, for instance. Like 30 guys in there with no girlfriends). Now, I'm the exact same way in terms of the reclusive, no girlfriend situation. I'm 20 years old and I have yet to have an actual girlfriend. But for some reason or another, it doesn't seem to bother me. At all. Sure, a girlfriend would be nice (probably), but I don't think it's enough of an issue to actually fret about.

So now to the question in the topic title, are guys just being overdramatic? Or am I just missing out on how rad relationships really are?

If I were to guess, I would say it's the former. Of all the relationships I've ever observed, maybe 1 in 25 (that's being optimistic) are relationships that I myself would actually like to be in, since the rest are jealous, squabbling, conniving insanity. But maybe I'm just a bitter pessimist who only sees the bad.

Anyways, my mind is starting to unravel and I'm beginning to rant. Discuss!

2. maybe having a girlfriend doesnt matter to you, maybe you would prefer a boyfriend. :p
    jk
    ummmm relationships are amazing...relationshits...are not

3. Friends give me shit for not having a girlfriend.

I would like one so they can all stfu.

That is all, I wouldn't care either way.

4. I'm kinda like that too now, I don't really care because girls are kinds just bitches anyways.

OP have u had sex?
    Before my first hooker I wanted a relationship bad, but now I know my hand can do a much better job:)

Although maybe when I mature I can find a girl to get married, because you can only drink beer and watch sportscenter so many time before it gets boring.
    Maybe!

5. I'd say it's a bit of both. Relationships can be Hell sometimes though... So, at least you aren't subjecting yourself to that. Or any of the emotional trauma that's attached to a bad break.
    It's normal for men to feel lonely and stuff... Men are people, people are meant to be social beings in the first place, So I wouldn't say it's overly dramatic. It's just not good to place your happiness in women, considering the majority of the time women are being emotional, dramatic, unstable, etc. So of all things they decide to place their self-worth in the hands of a woman. And look at what it results in.
    But at least you don't do that, OP. So props to you Sir.

6. Put it this way. If you have a roof over your head,food and clothing nothing is that bad. Theres people way worse off guaranteed so a girlfriend is nothing to worry about atleast your alive and healthy.

Ive never had a real girlfriend either and it doesnt bother me one little bit because atleast i have my health and a roof over my head.

7. Totally and COMPLETELY agree! And I have a girlfriend BTW

8. Relationships are cool for a while. Unless u are REALLY good friends though, eventually u just get on each others nerves.

I just got out of a year long relationship with a chick that had 3 kids. I am SO fuckin happy. :D

A year of dealing with someone else's kids and all the drama that comes with the kids dads etc. It has been AWESOME not having to deal with that.

BUT not all relationships are that bad. :D I just happened to be in a really shitty one for way longer than I should have. (what we will do for pussy.... )

9. for sure man

10. there really dosent seem to be a point to em at my age. Im 19, like im thinkin bout marrying a chick...

any relationship I have at this age is not going to work out for a plethora of reasons, best to just skip the emotional attachment and jus worry bout poon for now

i just keep my mind on money and when Im older thats when Ill find a partner....

11. i've only had one relationship and being with a girl I liked made me feel happier than i ever was but......

now I think what is the point. you know pretty much all relationships will end eventually. even marriages fail all the time.

now I view relationships differently. next time im dating a girl i'm not going to let myself get attached because I'll just assume sooner or later it's going to end and I don't want to get burned.

being single does have benefits. now I have way more time to do other things I wanted to do like study for my law school exam, volunteer, try and make friends.

plus i'm saving a lot of money....

12. I'd choose being single over most relationships. I really like being a single lady. But I'm in an amazing relationship and would choose this over being single everyday of the week.

13. I think it is amplified here because of how much of a sausage fest the city is, plus the demographic of pot smokers doesn't exactly exclude the angsty/cynical late-teenager. Which to be fair, I have my cynical angsty moments with the best of them...but my point is, I think the city has a skewed view on relationships, because this isn't exactly an average cross-section of society, ya dig?

But...no, being single really isn't that bad. Especially when good relationships seem increasingly more difficult to come by. I enjoy not being tied down

14. Just got put in the friends zone, after sending an alcohol induced text to my crush...

It actually helped me realize how we're better off friends anyways, and now that I think about it shit wouldn't have worked out between us anyways.

Fuck, there are plenty of fish in the sea, it just takes some effort and patience to catch those true game fish.

15. I stand beside myself so I'm not alone.

16. I'm a 20 year old woman, and I've never had a relationship. To be honest, it's kind of nice. I don't have to deal with all the shit that comes with a relationship (jealousy, neediness, etc.). I'm sure I'll get one eventually, but right now I like being selfish. I like doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. I like being alone sometimes, and not worrying about whether or not I've called my s/o enough, or whether or not I've pleased my partner enough. Granted, it kind of sucks not having sex, but there are other channels for that. There's advantages and disadvantages to being single or in a relationship. I'm enjoying the advantages of being unattached right now. :hello:

If I were totally honest, I think I'm a bit scared to be in a relationship. That's what's probably holding me back. If I really tried to find somebody, and really wanted a relationship, I'm sure I could get one. I just don't want to put out the effort when it's not that big of deal (not to mention, being desperate often dooms a relationship from the beginning). I'm enjoying singledom right now and I'm not in a hurry to change that. If it happens, it happens. That's where I stand.

17. I was married for 4 years then immediately jumped into another relationship that lasted for just over a year. She moved out 3 months ago. This is the first time I've ever lived alone. It's kinda cool to be a bachelor, I can do whatever I want.

I miss having a woman in the house and bed but mainly I get bored as hell, not necessarily lonely.

Single vs attached, each has pros and cons.

18. no girlfriend:
    -gotta beat the meat
    -mo money
    -mo free time
    -open to check girls out

girlfriend:
    -sex
    -less money
    -less free time
    -get slapped in the face for checking a girl out

Relationships have their pros and cons. I myself love not being in a relationship. I fully expect to move very far away from where I live now, so why bother with a girlfriend if I'm just going to move away. And in this time, I have saved a ton of cash and I have all the time I want to hang out with friends or whatever else. It is a bit boring at times too, so that sucks. But I'm 19 and I've got a ton of time to worry about finding a girl.

19. I just got outta one. So I aint gonna be looking for one anytime soon.

However for me Im in love with the idea of being in love. I love to do nice shit for my girl. Little suprises like her favorite candy or a rose or w/e.

Im not really the type of guy who just goes out and fucks girls because I can, I would rather be in a relationship and do that.

However I do not like the fighting, jealously, immaturity and bullshit that are involved in relationships but then again no relationship is perfect.

20. I've been in a couple serious relationship and it just seems like the more you put in the more you lose so don't rush anything enjoy your single time and if someone special comes along go for it but don't try to push things you just end up heart broken.