Is anyone out there doing outdoor hydroponic?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Tbone Shuffle, Jul 29, 2016.

1. I want to DWC a giant 1000 liter plastic fish crate I have. I think it would kick some serious ass. I wish I didn't live in the Alaskan rainforest. Anyone tried this in the correct climate?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wow no love for the outdoor hydro. It seems to me best of both worlds. The power of the sun and the incredible growth of hydro. I have this feeling outdoor growers are lazy. I know it's offensive and I'm sorry but it seems most of them want to throw a few seeds in a plastic tub of chickenshit and walk away. LOL! I wish I could do that indoors. =) Where's the people pushing the limit?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pests yo. Theres no such thing as sterile outdoors.

I think the middle-ground is hydro greenhouse which ive definitely heard of people doing. Wish i had a greenhouse to try it!

lovin u (=

4. It doesn't need to be sterile. I would say you would have to inoculate it with beneficial bacteria to have a good grow but I don't think it's impossible at all. I bet there's lots of people doing it that haven't posted about it or I've missed their stuff. I want to smoke some monster outdoor hydro on CO2. Come on, the lights are the limiting factor indoors. Someone is making some monster mutant shit with the sun and some badass DWC.

• Like Like x 2
  5. [​IMG]

This is a blueberry bag seed growing in DWC in a 27gal tote. She was started indoors under a CFL grow lamp in a 5 gal bubble bucket. I only had room in my flower tent for 1 plant so this girl was left to grow and grow vegging for nearly 10 weeks. I took several clones that had rooted and started growing, but I had nowhere to put her and her health started to decline and I didn't have the heart to kill her. So I decided to move her outside in a bigger tote with a huge air pump because of the high temps right now. This is 1 week after I moved her outside and she has bounced back tremendously and can't wait to she when she starts to flower

• Like Like x 4
  6. [​IMG][​IMG]

Here is an update guys she is doing amazing, way better than all my expectations. LooksShe should start flowering wishing the next couple weeks hopefully. #outdoorDWCis4real

I'm using half tap half RO water with advance nutrients line and orca

• Like Like x 2
  7. My brother and I had an idea of getting the massive trash cans and burying it almost all the way down into the ground (to help keep the water cold) and then do a DWC. Never panned out because I couldn't think of a way to keep the pump pulling cold air to not add to the heat of the summer. Contemplated a chiller to try and keep it at 65-70 degrees but didn't want to leave a $500-$1000 chiller to get weathered and beat to shit outside even if I did build a little enclosure for it. Always was an intriguing idea though. Maybe one day I'll do it.

Steviodaddios Medical Perpetual

8. Yeah the underground cooling was my idea too if temps become a problem but I so far just going over the top with the air pump and 3 stones in there have kept her happy

9. If it's got light, a medium to grow in and nutrients...it'll do it's best to try and grow there. That's just the nature of the plant. Do be on the watch for pests though. As she puts on buds and starts to resin up real good, it'll turn into a magnet. We live in the SE US and humidity/heat are the biggest issues we have...though most sativa strains tolerate it quite well, but you really have to watch once the plants start budding outside and be proactive as far as protecting your buds. Also, your plants are definitely going to need some serous support for all those heavy limbs once the budding and resin production ramp up. We usually put our support in right before they go into flower...depending on what we're using. But you've got to have something with plants that bushy or your limbs will break off. They sure look great. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  10. You could just locate the pump in your air conditioned house and run an air line out to the can. If you sunk it into the ground that would really help with keeping the water cold. Most people don't know that only a few feet down in the earth the temperature changes very little year round. People use that fact to make refrigerators here in Alaska that work year round. They're nothing more than a hole in the ground with an insulated lid.

• Like Like x 2
  11. It would work if my outdoor garden was 15 feet from my house but considering its 315 feet behind it that's a no go. End up burning up the pump before I'd even get cold air. Plus unless I'm using an expensive air pump like an Air force, I'm already going to be putting warmer air in just due to the fact pumps do create heat.

What I'd consider is getting a mini fridge and drill a line in the side for hose and power wire then drop my stones in the reservoir (Granted I ever run my electrical that far from my house or build my pole barn and tie it into that)

I understand with a taller/deeper located reservoir/DWC setup the earth stays relatively cool year round. Cold trays have proven that. Would have to also invest in mylar or something to deflect the heat below the plant and above an insulated lid. If I can keep the water at mid to low 60s, then damn it I'm going. LOL

12. Make a lid out of high density foam. It would be fine, probably all the insulation you would need. One thing I was thinking of doing myself is locating my air pump inside a large cooler like a yeti but less expensive. If you put extra insulation around the cooler you could pack it with ice and it would last 2-3 days or more between having to repack it. Put the pump in a tray in the top of the cooler with a hose to a filter outside and coil a bunch of tubing in the bottom of the cooler where the ice is to cool the output air.

I like the mini fridge idea. They sell those for about $100 at walmart. Pumps don't make that much heat. Mine definitely makes a little but this is something all DWC systems deal with. You just need to purchase some x rated wire. It can be ran exposed outside. It would cost you $250 for 300+ feet of it though. Wire is expensive these days. You could use aluminum wire for less. As long as it's x rated it can be ran outside without conduit. Some places require 18" burial but if you're rolling it up later I wouldn't worry about that.

I have the perfect container. It's already insulated. It's a 1000 liter fish processing container with a lid that they use at canneries. They aren't that hard to come by if you live in a fishing community. I use mine to keep charcoal for the BBQ and other stuff outside I don't want wet, but looking at it it's perfect for this use. They already have insulated lids for moving fish packed with ice around processing plants.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2

13. Wow! Best of both worlds. Fastest growing method meets the sun.

• Like Like x 2