Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is aluminum from a pop can bad for you?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Defmob, May 1, 2009.

1. I recently made a make-shift bong out of a water bottle, hollowed pen, and an aluminum pop can. (no doubt you have probably heard of this method). And I was hearing that "tin" foil was bad for your lung, and can give you alzheimer's. Does it work the same way for aluminum foil?

First post, by the way! I'm a super apprentice toker :)

2. Smoking out of aluminum and tin foil is horrible for you

3. Oh christ, for the love of god do not do this. This is really bad for you. It can cause some serious damage I think alzheimers risk gets increased among other things. I would just roll a joint or make a homemade with the guide at the top of this section.

4. Ah. I see. Thanks for the quick reply! So I probably should have used a socket or something? (been hearing thats a good one)

5. Im not going to refute the harm of tin foil; but, if you take your nail and scrape the inside of a can you will find a very thin layer plastic they spray into the can before filling.

yuck. try to find a glass spoon or something, best of luck.

6. Dude, you really should just go pick up some papers, or drop some cash on a legit piece. Around my area getting a tiny metal pipe costs six dollars, papers even less.

7. I know an idiot that does this, and i hate him too, he thinks hes cool..
    anyways your going to get alzheimers

8. Yeah. I won't smoke out of it, then. Thanks for the heads up guys!
    Just strapped for cash. I might just bite it and go buy one today.

I'm new and don't know of head shops.

9. #9 TheChronic., May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
    Aluminum / aluminium foil isn't dangerous when used to smoke cannabis.

You cant get it hot enough (to vapor form) to release the toxins.

Look out for the ink (printed designs) on the cans though ;)

10. I don't understand why people seem to think they 'NEED' to smoke out of aluminum pieces, or even plastic pieces. :confused: Glass is out there and is proven to be completely safe. Why not just smoke out of glass? It is not expensive at all. Hell, you can use a Sobe bottle!

11. #11 falcon10911, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
    Best explanation I found.
    Basically people will alzheimers have alot more aluminum in the brain, and aluminum foil will not turn into a vapor using only a bic lighter.

The paint on soda cans will probably fuck you up before the aluminum does. But it's extremely easy to make a decent homemade, roll a joint, or invest in some glass. So the time you spend making the shit you could have smoked a bowl and relaxed anyway.

12. A scratch on the foil will make aluminum dust, you don't need to heat it up to get it in your system. Also, heat makes thin aluminum weak and more prone to braking apart making dust. Again, just get glass! It makes no sense whatsoever to not use glass.

13. Well if I need a quick fix without a piece on me, I'll use aluminum to make a "make shift bong". But i found a socket that fits perfectly. So I'll use that instead.

I'll buy glass eventually, but for now this will do just fine.
    (better than my other buddy who is still smoking out of a pop can).

Thank you, all for the quick replies. I appreciate it.

14. Lol, a "quick fix" Just make a gravity or waterfall bong out of a bottle and a socket.

15. Haha. How do I do that?

16. [​IMG]

You don't need a stem though.

17. If you enjoy altiemerz and cancer, then no.

18. just smoke out of an apple, pear, ect..