Is Aluminum Foil Bowls Bad For Health?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Weedicles, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Alright, so I've recently created a few gravity bongs, I don't know what else to use besides aluminum foil, and a couple of friends are saying that it's horrible to smoke out of. Is it really? If it is, what should I smoke out of that is handy around the house?

2. I believe it is. Everytime I use aluminum (cans) and I finish smoking, I feel like a deep feeling in my lungs when I breathe. Nothing crazy, just a difference than normal

3. Please dont, please. I did this for months daily and I had horrible coughing. Worse than any cough i had it was well into my lungs and would HURT. Go roll a doob, or hit a spoon. Stay away from cans!

4. It's not a can ... it's the foil itself.

How should I make my gravity bong if I'm not to use foil? What other household items could I use for a gravity bong bowl?

5. Still looking for a reply.

How should I make my gravity bong if I'm not to use foil? What other household items could I use for a gravity bong bowl?

6. Still looking for a reply.

7. [quote name='"Weedicles"']Still looking for a reply.

How should I make my gravity bong if I'm not to use foil? What other household items could I use for a gravity bong bowl?[/quote]

I used a socket on the cap for the g bong
    When I used to do it

8. #8 munwa, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
    I don't think that it is. I used to make waterfall bongs every once in a while using a water bottle and some aluminum foil. I then realized I could use my one hitter as a bowl in place of the foil, but while I did it everything was fine. A lot of metal pieces are even made of aluminum, so unless there is something added to the foil, it should be okay.

I'd suggest lighting the actual foil before smoking out of it. A coating or something comes off, and you can see the smoke.

Edit: Don't listen to this. I was completely wrong.

9. Yeah dont do it.
    When I used to resort to it back in the day I would be left with sore lungs and constricted breathing.

10. Lets clear this up! Aluminum is BAD! These are right off PubMed and are all new studies!

How aluminum, an intracellular ROS generator promotes hepatic and neurological diseases: the metabolic tale. (How aluminum messes up your liver, nerves and brain- 2013) How aluminum, an intracellular ROS generat... [Cell Biol Toxicol. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Fenugreek seeds, a hepatoprotector forage crop against chronic AlCl(3) toxicity. (Fenugreek seed protects animal livers against aluminum poisoning.- 2013 It also makes a tasty maple-syrup flavored tea, that can make your sweat smell mapley! ;)) Fenugreek seeds, a hepatoprotector forage crop a... [BMC Vet Res. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Zinc sulphate and vitamin E alleviate reproductive toxicity caused by aluminium sulphate in male albino rats. (Zinc and E help protect the testes of male rats :eek: - 2013- I recommend NATURAL D-alpha tocopherol, not the synthetic DL alpha tocopherol!) Zinc sulphate and vitamin E alleviate rep... [Toxicol Ind Health. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Aluminum may mediate Alzheimer's disease through liver toxicity, with aberrant hepatic synthesis of ceruloplasmin and ATPase7B, the resultant excess free copper causing brain oxidation, beta-amyloid aggregation and Alzheimer disease. (By poisoning the liver, aluminum may cause Alzheimer's by causing too much copper in your system and that does BAD things to your brain! - 2013) Aluminum may mediate Alzheimer's disease thro... [Med Hypotheses. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

And now for a science experiment! :hello: Take a piece of aluminum foil and hold it in a lighter flame for a few minutes. Look at the foil. How has it changed? Does it tear easier than unburned foil? Does it seem like some aluminum atoms have "disappeared"? Where do you think they would go if that foil was your bowl? :eek:

Aluminum is hard for the body to excrete! Once it is in your body, it can stay for a LONG time, doing damage, before it is finally excreted in your urine. :(

Granny :wave:

11. Try buying a one hitter, and just sticking that through the cap. It works like a charm, and conserves a lot more weed than a bowl.

Wow, I'm definitely not doing this again.

12. There is an identical thread to this one with all Tue science

13. how bout a thimble? would that work?

14. So gross. I would do without..

15. Fuck. I used to smoke aluminum bowls a LOT when I was 14-15 years old. I never really noticed any negative physiological effects though.

16. In.tine

17. I've read somewhere that bic lighters can't reach the temperature that is needed to emit aluminum vapors off the foil or something like that. Might be total horseshit though.

18. Take a piece of aluminum foil and hold in in a flame for a few minutes. Then look at it. How has it changed in appearance? Try tearing it, does it tear more easily than an unburned piece of foil? Does it seem like some atoms went missing? Where do you think those missing atoms of aluminum went?

19. Jesus christ, has everyone just forgotten about google?