Is ADHD real, or just 'Bad Parenting'?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Jane_Bellamont, Mar 31, 2017.

1. My daughter had him in gymnastics. He really wanted to go. It was his idea so she signed him up and paid the money but he could not listen to the instructor. He wanted to run around and play on all the equipment and not do what the instructor wanted and what the other kids were doing.
    He was tested at Oregon Health Science University Hospital. He is very smart and the psychologists and child psychiatrist said his ADHD was holding him back. He's doing so much better in school now and is a completely different child.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I think ADHD is caused by putting a teevee in your child's room when they're growing up, because you're subjecting them to commercials when their little brains are forming. It conditions them to take things 15 seconds at a time.

I don't recall hearing about ADHD when I was a kid because teevees were expensive, and a family only had one. About 1980, though, parents started letting their kids have a teevee in the room...and those kids turned up with ADHD. :confused_2:

Can't imagine what internet and Facebook are doing to kids' brains today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Isn't that the truth? Plus smart phones and tablets. Every kid has their own tablet wtih games and get online with them. They can't sit in a restaurant without a smart phone with games on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The thing about the narrative from a regular person is that if they can find a way to say "This is what makes me the way I am, my character is not flawed, but this is the way I am," they are going to take that route, because it means they will not have to make any hard choices, will not have to make any sacrifices and just basically sit and wait for somebody to hand them a pill and say "This will make your problems go away,"

I think mental illness is definitively a factor in this conversation, but to suggest that it is 100% a factor is all the evidence we need to suggest it is not.. I think if people can make an argument to not change their approach or anything they are doing, they are going to take it and I think this argument is why the IDEA of ADHD exists.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It’s real but also over diagnosed in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. #46 Praetorian, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    I've been told by many I have it, even a psych I went to see about it once.

To me, it just feels like my boredom is triggered more than other people's in certain situations.
    I joke generally and say I'm basically a Golden Retriever. I'm built for the field and like to move about and be active.
    It's not attention deficit if I don't want to sit in a cubicle, or work in a store 8+ hours per day.

This is where life cracks its whip once again, and reminds us that we need to be responsible adults and productive members of society.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. It's definitely real.. I have ADD myself and when it kicks in I tend to space out. Not that i'm not listening or interested in what is being said. It's just I've lost concentration because I have an short attention span.

8. people also think lobotomizing and shock therapy worked (back in the day) things went undiagnosed due to the limited knowledge and equipment

those "things" shown on TV appeal to our innate desires

if anything the problem lies in why the parents give the children the TV and not the TV itself

are the parents not at home and use the TV as a sort of replacement? did the family unit go through changes in the 80s? there are so many factors that mentioning only TV and Facebook affecting people is too much of a stretch

youre both your environment and your genes

its why we dont makes excuses for inheritable disorders (schizophrenia in the family, down syndrome, autism...)

yet we know environment also forms who we are (language)

9. If it wasn't real they would change the definition of ADHD until it is real. You can only bill for it's treatment by naming and defining it. Choosing to prescribe a pill for it was genius, even if it was an addicting and harmful drug. It makes it look more...scientific. You notice they didn't invent the medicine used to treat ADHD, they repurposed an existing drug they could no longer legally sell and made out like bandits.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. definately an over diagnosed and badly treated condition. in uk its usually prescribed methylphenidate wich is basically synthetic cocaine. wouldnt give my kid half a gram to calm her down so i wouldnt give her that.
    theres always a better way to treat things than pharma drugs. just that they dont make anyone money so were told they dont work.
    cure for cancer- mustard gas
    cure for depression- pills that list the no1 side effect as depression
    cure for insonmia- pills that list the no1 side effect as deppression
    cure for anxiety- pills that list the number 1 side effect as depression.
    the list goes on.
    pretty much everything you get from a doctor even tells you on the wee leaflet inside that its almost garunteed to leave you depressed yet millions of people would rather do that than just make some simple changes in their lifestyle to make themselves feel a bit better.
    ive apparently got adhd. told him to ram his drugs up his arse and go back to med school. i just find ways to keep myself occupied. i work, play guitar, learned the rubix cube, learned how to grow weed, learned a fair bit of spanish. the mind is supposed to be occupied. by sitting about not doing much then anyones gonna lose the plot a bit. doesnt mean you have a disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I think it's in the food and water. The way meat is raised and the way crops are managed. Possibly something to do with vaccinations in the 60's.

I'm not really a conspiracy nut, but it does seem this shit came out of nowhere in not much more than a generation. And with little to no explanation.

I think bad parenting is another subject, although I could see that overlapping with overdiagnose, and potentially excusing the kid from structured discipline.

I do believe being hooked on video games is a parenting issue, not ADHD.

My 2 cents.

12. That's what my parents did to me. Glad I escaped that bullshit.

13. Couldn't agree more. I was treated with their drugs as a kid and, I'm still fucked in the head as result of the side effects.

14. ADHD did seem to come out of nowhere. It wasn't an official psychological disorder until 1980 but in the 1950s they did discover that giving school kids speed made them better students (surprise?). After it became an official disorder therapist could bill for it's treatment and then more insurance companies started covering psychological disorders so more kids got treatment and more diagnoses were made but I doubt there was an actual increase in the number of people afflicted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Interesting Ed so, back before the whole "ADD" thing how did they treat people who seem to not pay attention? Were they beaten or yelled at or accepted?

16. It’s real but over diagnosed so that DRS can put ppl on pills. I was diagnosed with it as a kid but never took pills my parents put me n counseling instead. Weed puts my thoughts in order and makes it where I can focus on one task thought or emotion at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Never said it wasn't real, I just wanted to know how it was treated before pills man.

I was diagnosed with it too as a child along with autism. And I find that CBD and THC are a lot more effective. :)

18. No prob man not debating anyone didn’t even see who OP was justmy two cents. There is such thing as bad parenting my parents never knew what I was going through till the schools or police brought it to there attention. They were tax paying slaves that let teachers raise us kids. Perfect Americans.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Holy shit it all makes sense now. I get it so the few people who genuinely suffer from ADD get treatment and, its fine for them.

But then we get college kids wanting to use these substances for studying, so to get those someone's got to get a misdiagnosis.

Or if its not a college kid trying to excel. Its some kid who's got a parent that didn't want to raise themselves so they drug em. Like mine did in my early pre-teens to my early teen years. I got slapped with an add label outta nowhere one day in middle school and, had to start taking those unmentionables. The autism was genuine about 8 different doctors when I was 3 years old can confirm that. But ADD that was shady clinic motherfucker. The kinda doc that would prescribe you that "stuff" for "pain".

20. Mine was actually ptsd once I got it under control the adhd and ocd went away. Drs are pill pushers these days they don’t actually cure anything in my opinion. Just a data base with symptoms that tell them what pills to prescribe. “Oh that pill didn’t work try this one, and if that doesn’t work take them together” I had 7 different pills I was taking 12 years ago and 3 of them weren’t suppose to be mixed with others that’s when I was like “ I’m making a life change and doin this shiton my own” I’ve been medicated daily since then and my life is the best it’s ever been.
    Don’t get me wrong I go to the dr for some shit but when it comes to my mind if I’m not in jail And I’m able to keep a job n relationships I figure I’m doin ok.

• Agree Agree x 1