Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is a slide and a downstem the same thing?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by mattytsanchez, Aug 7, 2012.

1. If it's a dumb question, idgaf. Just an answer would be appreciated. Thanks guys and stay toasty! :)

2. No. the slide can come out an that's what you pack your bud in...the downstem is the glass thats like a tube running into the bong water and the slide goes in the downstem

3. [quote name='"mexitoke"']No. the slide can come out an that's what you pack your bud in...the downstem is the glass thats like a tube running into the bong water and the slide goes in the downstem[/quote]

Thats a bowl dude

4. Pretty sure the downstem is the tube that goes into the water, and the slide goes into the downstem. You pull the slide out with your weed and it acts as a carb hole.

5. [quote name='"mexitoke"']No. the slide can come out an that's what you pack your bud in...the downstem is the glass thats like a tube running into the bong water and the slide goes in the downstem[/quote]

No, that's a bowl you're thinking of, and yes OP the slide and the downstem are the same thing

6. I've always been under the impression that "slide" == "bowl." A downstem is the piece that the bowl goes into.

7. #8 flammzrant, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    [quote name='"Gr33nD420"']

No, that's a bowl you're thinking of, and yes OP the slide and the downstem are the same thing[/quote]
    [quote name='"rooooooR"']

Thats a bowl dude[/quote]
    Double wrong, the others are right.

A slide and a bowl are the same thing in glass on glass tubes.

In grommet tubes, the downstem and bowl are one piece and is commonly referred to as a slider.

The slide is whatever you slide out to clear your hit.

8. [quote name='"flammzrant"']

In grommet tubes, the downstem and bowl are one piece and is commonly referred to as a slider.

The slide is whatever you slide out to clear your hit.[/quote]

what this guy said^

9. [quote name='"flammzrant"']

The slide is whatever you slide out to clear your hit.[/quote]

Well in that case a slide is just both, cause you said it's whatever you pull out to clear your hit, which is the bowl and the downstem

10. correct, but with a regular bong you only need to take the bowl out (or slide if you wanna call it that).

not sure if you were just trying to make a point but just saying hah

11. ^wrong

^right

12. If the bong has a carb, then the bowl is also the downstem, but if it's a slider then the slider part has the bowl attached to it while the downstem is the glass part you slide the slider in. 2 different parts. :p no shame just admit your wrong :rolleyes:

13. #14 XiaoGG, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    This is a real argument? /sigh

Like the others said...

In a glass on glass boro bong
    the...

Slide(typically 14mm joint) is the bowl/where the weed goes that you pull to clear the bong.

Downstem(18mm joint) is what the slide sits in and is submerged under water.

You can pull either to clear the bong, just depends on your preference.

14. You can't really pull the downstem out to clear the bowl they're usually held in place by rubber or something, so unless you feel like struggling I dont recommend pulling the downstem to clear it :p

15. Some of them are like that, but most glass on glass tubes these days have all ground glass joints and no rubber at all.

Anyhow, yeah, slide = bowl, not dowstem. :smoking:

16. Didn't know all of mine have the rubber thing :p good to know though.

17. My gong has a glass diffused tube that goes in the hole and the the glass bowl fits on the end of that. The diffused tube makes in way easier to pour the water out because it has perc and if I pull the diffused tube out I can breath into the bong and all the water in the perc drains to be water in the bottom of the bong. My question is if the part I put the weed in is a downstem and a slide, what is the glass diffused tube called? And also the bowl barley goes into the diffused tube just fits snugg on the end of it because it is sand blasted.

18. No, it's not both.
    It's what you pack your weed in since that is what you slide out to clear it.
    It just so happens that in grommet tubes, the slide and downstem are one piece.

I never pulled out my glass on glass downstem to clear a hit, seems like a waste of effort :smoking:

19. Your description is confusing, post a pic of it :p