Is a hollow brass lamp safe to smoke out of?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by herbinsmoker, Feb 23, 2011.

1. My friend is really good at making bongs and pipes and he's making on out of a hollow brass lamp. Brass is an alloy of zinc and copper, which worries me a bit. It will serve as the chamber and he's using a metal tube and a wrench socket for the bowl.

I'm worried that the smoke will pick up some kind of toxins from the inside brass, but to be honest I really don't know. So, I was wondering if there were some blades here that are enlightened when it comes to this and are willing to share some precautions or whatever you think would help out.

Thanks in advance :smokin:

2. well..people vaporize out of lightbulbs...

i personally wouldn't. Just get save up a little and buy a real piece.

3. If it's only the chamber, it should be safe in theory. It might be one of those pieces that looks cool, but smoking out of it is sketchy.

4. Man buy a five dollar glass pipe

5. Yeah he would but he likes making bongs himself.

6. ah its about your friend..my bad i sped thru ur post.

gotta let a man..do what he wants to do man.

7. It'll be fine, there's no way it'll get hot enough to give off any dangerous gasses. Besides, how many brass pipes do you see in head shops? (Answer: Lots.)

8. aslong as the bowl isnt brass dont worry broski

9. I love making my own pipes, and buying legit glass ones or whatever from headshops is out of the question. So this is a stupid question but, how do i know something is safe to smoke out of?

I assume that if it burns or smokes or gives off a nasty smell, it shouldnt be safe... but i've tested sockets and stuff which i've heard are commonly used and they still give off a bad smell. Could it be that it's just the lighter fluid i smell?

10. butane has a certain smell and taste..