Is a cardboard grow box a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Chopsmoker420, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Is a cardboard grow box a bad idea? I have a 105 watt cfl 500 watt equivalent and I'm scared about it catching fire because the grow box will be decently small. Could my light start a fire?

2. Yes, it's a bad idea. Yes, it could start a fire.

3. that is a bit of a fire hazard. that be a good size for a rubbermaid container grow.

4. So if I got one of those plastic bins it would work and definitely not catch fire?

5. 105 watt cfl isnt equiv to 500 just saying.
    I stick my t5 400watt t5 over the cardboard box np .
    Your most likley goint to catch fire at outlets/connection points
    Accidentaly bumped one of the cords on my ballast and the tjing erupted with smoke fire and electricity.

6. Yeah it is ill show you like light I got

7. No its not bro stop fooling yourself.
    Your not getting 500 watss of light from a 100 watt cfl im telling you as an experienced grower you are not. Your getting 100 watts of cfl light good for maybe an oz of buds.

8. What ass holes jewing me on 5 watts well anyways could I grow a decent plant with it in a one of those plastic containers you get from Walmart without it being a fire hazard

9. Those HEAVY DUTY bins are pretty decent, don't get the flimsy cheap ones.

Your light is 105w and will still put out a decent amount of heat.

10. Im sorry 105*

Just poke a couple vent hole snd a puglt smal fan n the bin and your good to grow

11. I ended up using a old night stand here's how it looks so far. But how am I going to light proof
    It?

Attached Files:

12. the silver duct tape that looks like foil and is really for duct pipes is great for light proofing. its very sticky and stops all light. also it does not absorb any light. (the kind with the white paper on the sticky side)

be prepared to low stress train (lst) your plant in that. this is a very useful sticky that you can find many of your questions answers in.

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute...olute-beginners-compendium-helpful-links.html

do your research before you go to the store and waste hard earned doll-hairs ;) (I didn't)

13. im making a stealth grow closet 5ft tall 41" wide 23' deep using a hps/mh grow light with all white walls planning on making a carbon filter and air cooled hood this will be a all soil grow with one plant any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. lol@ suburbanspam...

Yea, foil tape is lightproof and waterproof, always good to have a roll on hand. Weatherstripping is good to have as well, they each have their place in a build.