Is a 400W HPS too much for a PC grow?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by OctoCamo, May 31, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I am going to start a micro-grow very soon, however I am scared that the heat given off by my 400w HPS will be too much for a PC case, even if it's a full case.

I bought the 400w HPS for my closet grow, but my parents informed me that we're moving in a month or so, so I definitely can't grow in my closet now.

You think the heat will be too much, or will I be able to keep it controlled with fans?

2. I'm pretty sure any HPS light is to hot for a pc case. Don't take my word though 'cause I've never tried it so I may be wrong.

3. [quote name='"OctoCamo"']Hey guys, I am going to start a micro-grow very soon, however I am scared that the heat given off by my 400w HPS will be too much for a PC case, even if it's a full case.

I bought the 400w HPS for my closet grow, but my parents informed me that we're moving in a month or so, so I definitely can't grow in my closet now.

You think the heat will be too much, or will I be able to keep it controlled with fans?[/quote]

You would probably run into problems with the 400 watt in the closet! Yet alone a pc case. Way too much man. I saw a guy rig up a 35watt hps in a pc case and it still got hot. If you go hps you can't dick around with heat/ventilation. Shit gets hot, it can/will start a fire if you let it.

4. The temps will be crazy hard to cool, but if you go all out budget wise i am sure you can cool it... The only problem is that it will probably not be silent, it will probably require equipment outside of the cabinet and it will take away space inside of the cabinet as well.. So it wont be stealth at ALL..

The other problem is that even if you manage to cool it, you will still risk sunburns unless you keep the bulb 6 inches away from the canopy.

Light Distance Chart's

Edit: Short story shorter: Trash the plans and get less light or bigger compartment.

5. HPS pc grows: 1, 2

It can be done, but very few do.

6. Just get 4 daylight 6500k CFLs and 4 soft 2700k CFLs. That your veg and flowering lol.