Is a 345w penatrator led better than 1000w hps

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ohio614boi, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Just purchased a 345w penatrator yesterday.. I had an offer I couldn't refuse considering how much they cost.. Im running a 1000w hps now in early flower.. I was wondering would the led be better..? Any opinions are welcome.. But I was hoping someone would see this that has already used a 1000 vs 345w led..thanx

2. How big is your space? Could you use both and rotate your plants?

3. I could but I'm trying to save energy.. And for as much as the led cost I was hoping I wouldn't need to do that....

4. Hrmmm.... Do I see an experiment coming from a 1000 watt vs 345 Led grow on the future grow room :)

Would be nice to have a grower's real life experiment to get info from :D

5. From what I have I seen from research is that the 345w penetrator can yield about the same in a scrog tent grow. What I like about LEDs is that the veg and buds are more compacts, plus the energy/heat reduction benefits are huge with the led

6. #6 Mechmike, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    I think you'll be happy with the 345. I Have 126 penetrator pro, a 345 penetrator pro and a brand new 189X-pro. I went the long way around buying cheap led lights off Ebay at first. I got what I paid for there. My quest eventually led me to HGL and their 60 degree lens leds. I have been pleased with these lights. Big colas and bud from top to bottom. Mine are all 3 watt lights so they kick out about 1/3 more light than the 1 watters but the 1 watters use less power, run cooler and produce very well too because of the intensity made with the tight lens angle. Most impressive is the new light they offer. I would have never believed it but the 189X-pro looks like it's performing as well as the 345-pro and it uses about the same wattage as the 345 penetrator. At any rate I think you will be happy especially if you got a screaming deal on it. One thing about these lights is they benefit greatly by putting them on a light mover. It spreads the very intense light over the entire crop and the light can be kept very close to the top of the canopy with no bleaching. My yield increased by about 30% after adding a mover.:cool:

7. It depends on the plant you grow, all the LED lights have an over 50000 hours lifespan, 350W or 1000W will depends on the goods you want to grow .

8. LED's have not been proven to be "The All BE", that they are made to be. While I was researching information, I noticed a few things. Lumens are very important. More so than wattage ad PAR. The site for the light you are discribing only has info on the PAR. It never states the lumens/watt.

A 400w HPS puts out 90 lumens per watt. A 1000w HPS puts out 140 lumens per watt.

Now look at this:
    I'm looking into T5's. A 28 watt puts out 104 lumens per watt. WOW! A little different. And you can get T5's in an array of wattages. I think that T5's have LED's beat, at this time.

9. They definitely have them beat on price...

kd