Is 90k miles a lot for a VW golf?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by OriginUnknown, Mar 27, 2012.

1. I love VW's and I really would like one for my first car. I can pick up a 2003 VW golf for $3k that has 151k KM(90k miles) on it. Is it too much? Obviously miles don't matter too much if the car has been taken care of properly, which I would be checking before buying, but with VW's slightly shoddy reputation in some aspects, is 90k miles too much?

2. Try to talk down to 2500 and if they are down then jump on it

3. My dad had a vw passat from 96 that but close to 200,000 on. Just don't drive like a asshole and you should have a reliable car

4. Well it is for sale at 2800(put it at 3k on here just for ease), I was going to offer 2500 if he still has it and see where it goes from there.

5. [quote name='"OriginUnknown"']
    Well it is for sale at 2800(put it at 3k on here just for ease), I was going to offer 2500 if he still has it and see where it goes from there.[/quote]

Like cripin said if you plan on taking care of it you should be set

6. nope, not at all, while growing up my family owned a VW Jetta for 18 years, it is now well over 20 years old, stilling running on all original parts, and even more amazing, original clutch. and thats constant stop and go city and highway driving
    VW's last a long time, and their engines are known for going for a long time as well

7. If the car is in decent condition 3k is pretty standard for a car in that range of miles/year.

8. if its a diesel its still in its break in cycle lol

9. I wish. The diesels are more expensive here.
    I never heard back on this golf, but I will probably end up with a similar one soon.

10. i hope i read that right. 90k miles for 3k? sounds like a steal if you ask me.

11. 90k miles for 3k? an 03 at that price is fantastic. offer 2995 and call it a day.

and no its not shit for miles. but for asking price make sure the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, and water pump have been recently replaced.

12. This is why I most likely will not buy it, I called him and found out it has not had the belt replaced and I know it would cost 1200 to get it done here. That is not what I want to pay for a first car right away.

13. Agreed.
    Just keep up basic maintenance man and you'll be surprised how many miles your car can withstand.

My dad always told me the importance of keeping my oil changed.
    He's right

14. Man I wouldn't even fuck with a VW if it wasn't TDI

15. 3k holy shit!!

16. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha VW known for reliability!

You get what you pay for.

I'd personally use the 3000 on a down payment