Is 90 degree water too hot for sprouting seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Greenish, Mar 20, 2009.

1. I've got a few seeds sitting in distilled water. I put the dish on a heated propagation mat. It's supposed to keep things at around 80 degrees, but I just tested the water the seeds are in, and it's 90.

Is that too hot; have I killed my seeds? It's been over four days, but I can't remember how long they've been in there. No real signs of germination, but no signs of mold either.

2. #2 Bobs16, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
    I would say that is too hot for seeds room temp would be best, just get your water ready and leave it out for a couple hours. Did you do the paper towel method or did you just stick the seeds in soil?

Errrr wait, Did you just say you have your SEEDS germing IN water?

3. I put them in a small glass dish with maybe a half inch of distilled water. I wait until I see the little white root, then put in soil. I'll try the towel method next.

4. Keeping it in water until it sprouts? How does that work exactly?

5. take them out and do the paper towel trick.

Who knows, the seeds might have survived. Some pine trees make seeds that resist forest fires :p

90f is just too hot for good growth.

6. I will never understand why people are so fixated with sprouting the seed and then planting it. Why not just plant the seed directly into soil, allow it to sprout and pop up on its own?

That's what I do, so far with 100% success rate. I've heard all kinds of stories about how the taproot can be damaged when planting it after it's sprouted.

I give my seeds a 30 minute soak and then into the damp soil they go. They poke out of the soil 3 to 5 days later.

7. Because not every seed sprouts. No need in making 20 pots of soil when 15 will sprout. More of a efficiency thing then anything.

8. I should clarify what I said, because I've had bagseeds that wouldn't sprout no matter what I tried, so I guess, to a degree, I can understand where you are coming from.

I still think it's unwise to handle seeds right after they sprout, it's the most fragile time of the plant's life. That and I'm a butterfingers and likely to kill half of my plants that way :eek:

9. I agree with BTBR... no paper towel

I soak mine in a glass of room temp water for 24 hours and if it sinks I plant, if it doesnt I give it another 12 - 24 hours.... if it still hasn't sunk it gets tossed. Every seed I've done this with has sprouted.