Is 400w too much?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by green4dj, Mar 4, 2012.

1. I have a single plant in a closet space that is approximately 3ftx3ftx6ft and a 400w hps light is this too much light for a single plant? I've been bending and pruning some to keep it short, I was also curious if I should maybe veg it a little longer to make the 400w more useful?

image-632558382.jpg

This is what it currently looks like with approximately 16 shoots of the main stem and 6 being of large size in comparison to the whole plant. It gets 3-6 hours of sunlight a day and the rest of 24 hours is under 45w of cfl and completely surrounded by Mylar

2. It will be epic if taken care of well.

Good Luck!

3. as long as you can control the heat your plant will love it

4. i seen this video on youtube awhile back and this guy says he got 14oz dry from a 400w. i mean i cant say for sure he was telling the truth, but the buds on that plant were huge. he was also using hydroponics so that helped alot. but it just goes to show u what a 400w can really do.

5. That would be just shy 1gram/watt which is doable but not easy.

6. Even 5oz would make me very happy but I'm curious how long to veg it for?

7. Keep this thread alive and let us know how it goes. I got 3 plants under a 600w and they are busghy as 6*k can't wait to see what they yeild :)

8. If I'm using organic soil should I flush it before adding bloom nutes or can I just add diluted bloom nutes to it?

9. just add the nutes.

10. add em right on in man, work it in 1/4 strength at a time. dont wanna burn or shock. i've got a 600hps in a 5'x5' closet and its awsome. temp can be an issue though. typically 15-20 degrees warmer than my house temp. and i run a 340cfm 6" inline exaust fan 24/7 haha. your 400w will be awsome if temp can be controlled goodluck man. and hell yes let it grow under the 400w for awhile before flowering it will explode. i grow my starts under t5 HO lights and they do well but when the starts see that 600hps they go nuts.

11. Well I have a basic 3ft house fan blowing at it and it helps somewhat but it's only on a 400w MH, I worry the HPS is gonna be much hotter

image-3930067894.jpg

I just added the light today so I haven't finished adjusting Mylar but the plants about 5-6 inches from the bulb. I use my hand to test the heat and it feels a little warm but not hot. I still need to get a light timer because I don't wanna run it 24 hrs I wanna switch it to 18/6 to save some money and bulb and allow it some time to cool off

12. i dont have experience with MH bulbs not sure how much cooler they are from HPS but my plants burn under the HPS if the light gets much closer than a foot. keep an eye on her! I've also read having a dark period is better for your plants than 24hr light. havent seen any proof but i run my t5's 24hrs on babies and the bud room 18/6 for about 2 weeks before 12/12. looks like it could be fun routing the ducting for that hood. compact haha i like it. have a good one man

13. there about the same in temp. Don't worry! If you can manage the MH than the HPS will be fine.

14. Any suggestions on the best bloom nutes?

15. I get about 5 oz from my 400w. Not exactly sure on weight but i have 4-6 mason jars each harvest :). I have 11 plants in sea of green though w/ 1 gallon pots. My total height in room is only 40". You need to do a screen of green with that bad boy. with proper veg and training your plants you could yld huge!

But to answer your question veg as long as you can really. remember the plant gets taller in bloom.

16. I only had the one seed and when i noticed it was female i transplanted andI got the convertible MH to HpS light from a friend for $100 with both bulbs so I couldn't pass on the deal. And as for sea of green a little risky one plant cops just rip out here 11 and I'll probably spend a little time in jail. Until I get the papers from my friend saying I'm his caregiver I'd rather not risk it. Someday tho... How long does sea of green take from beginning to end to get 5oz?

17. So I now have a gnat problem I bought some spray that's useable on vegetables and shrubs but it seems ineffective. Any pointers on natural remedies for fungus gnats. Preferably cheap solutions... Please help!

18. [quote name='"green4dj"']I only had the one seed and when i noticed it was female i transplanted andI got the convertible MH to HpS light from a friend for $100 with both bulbs so I couldn't pass on the deal. And as for sea of green a little risky one plant cops just rip out here 11 and I'll probably spend a little time in jail. Until I get the papers from my friend saying I'm his caregiver I'd rather not risk it. Someday tho... How long does sea of green take from beginning to end to get 5oz?[/quote]

Sea of green for me takes about 2-3 weeks of veg. 8-9 weeks bloom (depending on strain).
    For the gnats I used azamax as a drench solution. Meaning you water with it instead of spray it on. It takes 3 applications 7-10 days apart to get rid of all gnats. It worked for me. You maybe could try letting your dirt get dry. I don't think they like it dry.

19. Thanks I think I'll try drying it out first then maybe a layer of sand on top I read they don't like the sand or maybe it wasn't sand? But deff gonna try drying it out before I result to chemical action again. I just bought a sweet light timer. digital with up to 1250w capacity and two outlets( for the future when I expand and wanna hook up 2 600w) with 10 programmable timers and it also can b programmer to do 18/6 for say 2 more weeks then automatically switch to 12/12 on whatever day I want. I can't wait to test it out I wanna wait til the dark period before I plug it in. I'll just set a timer 6 hours after I turn it off to wake me up to check the timer in case I messed up on it somehow

20. for the gnats did u try hanging some flytape or any kind of tape really.