Is 1000W too much light?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by unclemick, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Hello all. I am in the middle of my first grow and I'm beginning to think that I don't have enough light for my flowering room. It is in a shower stall measuring 29" x 46". I currently have a 400W HPS on top of 4 plants in there. That seems to be working. I have 5 more plants in veg that are due to flower in about 2 weeks. That would be 9 plants in there. That is not enough light to my satisfaction. A buddy has a 1000w HPS that he could lend me. I am concerned that is TOO much light/heat for my area. Heat will be a concern as summer approaches as well.:smoking::smoking::smoking:
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!:)

2. The 1K would be nice if you can keep things cool. Shower stalls don't exactly lend themselves to cutting holes for ducting, etc. How are the temps with the 400? Is the 1K air cooed?

The only thing MJ likes more than light is MORE light. But, unless you're confident that you can exhaust the 1K's heat effectively, then maybe stick with the 400. GL!

3. What's the rest of your setup like? Seems like there are quite a few things that could vary in a shower setup, like curtain or doors, bathroom door shut or open, etc...

I'm guessing open top area, right? Do you have circulation fans moving air around? Leave the bathroom exhaust fan on? House temp?

Since it's a loan from a friend, it certainly can't hurt to try it out. Post the temps with each of them if you do.

Even if it goes up a little, you can always try adding a fan to bring it back down. I'd think a fan blowing heat up & out would help, especially if you have an exhaust fan running to remove the hot air from the room.

If you can't get it to work & the 400 isn't enough, I guess you could just compromise & add a few CFLs where needed.

4. Thanks to all for the help!:):)
    My shower stall is tiled in at the top with a light fixture. I do have an exhaust fan near the toilet in the bathroom. What I thought about doing was removing the light fixture in the shower and replacing it with some kind of fan that will draw out the hot air. There is no central heat or air in this room/area. That is why I am concerned about temps come summer. Any ideas?

5. Adding fans is never a bad idea. ;)

No heat or A/C... and I'm guessing you have to keep the door closed, right?

I guess it will depend on the climate where you live and how hot that room gets in the summer. If the sun is beating down on that side of the house and you have to keep the door shut, maybe getting a cheap portable or window A/C unit would help.

Do you still use this as a bathroom, or is it just a grow room now?

Also, is smell not an issue for you?

Do you have attic access where that light is in the shower?

If so, and you don't mind doing work to the room & ripping that light out for more ventilation, maybe lose the light, get a real good inline fan with the balls to push through a big carbon filter in the attic.

Not sure how stealth this has to be, but you could go with a cool tube, pulling the air through that, through where the light is, then through a carbon filter... helping out with both heat & smell.

Maybe if you don't skimp on the fan & pull enough negative pressure, the cool tube combined with cool air being sucked in from the house will be enough.

Since you're more familiar with the climate in your area, you can probably make an educated guess on what summer is going to be like, just by seeing how your temps work out now with the current weather.

6. Thanks for the replies!
    I live in the Southeast US. It will be 100 with 90% humidity in August. The room is only used to grow in. I think I will pull the fixture and get an inline fan/carbon scrubber and try to pull the hot air into the attic.

7. UPDATE:
    I must say that this is in NO way stealthy. The dark room fan was designed to vent chemical fumes and it just pulls and pulls. LOUDLY!
    I put a space heater in over night and the temps today are 76 and steady.
    Yee-Haw!

Feedback?