Irrigation system

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Yorker, Jun 4, 2015.

1. So I'm new to all this lol go easy on me. I've got 16 plants (12 female 4 male) growing inside until they're strong enough of outdoor weather. My idea is to use a rain barrel with a garden hose spigot on it and use a drip irrigation system to water them. My question is basically how to go about what size emitter and how many gph per hour for how many hours and if I should get a timer? I just need help figuring out the semantics. Thanks

2. Why are you keeping the males ?

3. #3 The_Real_OG_Kush, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
    Gravity fed drip system with airstones. Sprinkler on/off and 2 wires. Sprinkler timer. PVC from barrel to 8 port dripper manifold.
    |  Bucket             |
    |                          |
    |   {Air-stone}       |                                                         {Manifold}---------------Drip line------P(Dripper)
    |washers female threaded pvc-|-metal&Rubberwasher-Male thread pvc to pvc------l <-90* elbow Female pvc & thread. get 12inch threaded stems to connect the manifold to the elbows.
    -------------------------------------

Incorparate the on/off sprinkler valve into the pvc design.

4. When you set it up you are better off deciding the flow speed and duration when your doing it. You don't want it too fast that the water goes everywhere and you want enough water to properly soak the soil. How often it will need watering will need to be tested too. There are too many variables for anyone to take a guess.

Will you be using a pump to administer the water? 

5. I have a 50 gallon rain barrel which I pump water into via electric pump from the river 50 feet away. Using the rain barrel as a gravity drip system.

6. How to connect the pvc to the spigot on the barrel and the manifold, is there some way to thread the pvc or?

7. #7 Yorker, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
    Someone just throw the links to all the stuff I'll need to make this an effective irrigation system and I'll understand better, thanks.

8. If it gravity fed then the water butt needs to be elevated higher than the pots. why not just have the pump irrigate the pots? What's the reason of having the water butt? 

You will need a tank connector, also called a bulkhead. You would have a hose connected to this. Then a manifold. This branches off narrower hoses that run to each pot. Make sure all the feed hoses are the same length so they deliver the same amount of water 

9. Home depot list of parts.

Everything is 1/2 inch diameter.

(8)PVC pipe
    (1)PVC glue(Primer and glue combo)
    (1)Pipe thread tape(white)
    (2)Ruber washers(1/2inch)
    (2)Metal washers same size as rubber washer
    (1)sprinkler timer
    (1)sprinkler on/off valve
    (3) male threaded to pvc coupler
    (1)female threaded to pvc coupler
    (1) thread sprinkler stem 1 foot 1/2 diameter
    (1)1/2 inch thread dripper to 1/8th inch 8port spaghetti lines(8 port manifold)
    (1)50 foot roll of 1/8th tubing
    (16)1/8th dripper heads of your choice
    (2)small pipe wrenches
    (1)Shovel to bury pvc
    (1)Stand for your water tank
    (1)1/2 drill bit and drill gun to tap a hole into the tank. Unless existing hole is 1/2 inch.
    (1)PVC 90 elbow to threaded female
    (?)PVC elbos as needed

10. Thanks! I'll do my best to put all of this together.

11. Just make sure the female ends of the spinkler on/off is 1/2 inch diameter as well. If gravity wont work for your application then a pump can be easy added to the pvc design.