Ironheads method for success

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Ironhead, May 27, 2015.

1. Thanks man. I use t5's in early veg, transition to MH for late veg, and flower under mixed spectrum (HPS and MH).

2. Em-dog rooted in 7 days using this method. I think I see a root starting to poke out on another clone, but I'll wait to confirm.
    20150601_191203~2.jpg

3. #103 Grow2dab., Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
    Looking good Iron, everything's so healthy. Have you ever had any defs when loosing the grow bottle? I use to have N def in veg even when I was using it and had to add more N on top. That's the only thing that concerns me with H3AD, N heavy plants. 

Your full spectrum's should make sweet veg lights as well don't forget. Or smaller ones.

4. My Mars? Oh yeah they veg well, no arguing about that :)

5. Hell yea! I've seen roots pop out of solo cups after only 5 days before.. I know it works! I'm gonna go over my cloning method a little later today.

Mmmmm Emdog. Good stuff right there.

6. I don't use an Gro... It's just Micro and Bloom only. This is the perfect nutrient profile for cannabis.. It goes along with Mel Frank's discovery that cannabis grows best with a NPK-Mg profile of 100-100-200-60.. This comes very close to that.

To be totally honest with ya.. I've grown prolly 500 different strains and I've never come across a single plant that is Nitrogen, Calcium, or Magnesium hungry. Usually when those types of problems arise, it has something to do with the way I'm watering, which has a huge impact on the plants overall health. :)

I tried mixed spectrum in veg.. I hate vegging under HPS bulbs.. They don't do the plants any good at all in my opinion. I do like the HPS bulbs for in flower alongside the MH.. Best flowering combo I've come across yet. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. You've grown 500 strains?
    Jesus christ. How long have you been growing?
    What's your top 10 (none clone only) strains?

8. #108 Ironhead, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
    Eh.. Total guesstimate... Prolly a lil heavy. :p I've documented everything here on Grasscity except my first journal, so you are more than welcome to go back and count. I usually don't grow the same strain twice unless it's really good.. But they all get phased out after 1-2 runs. Its good to keep fresh stock. I been growing 4 years now.

Hard to have a top 10 if I don't keep any of them. Haha Golden Goat is up there.. Fruity Chronic Juice was a good one.. Dionysus from Sanctuary Gardens... Um... East Coast Sour Diesel.. Everything Humboldt Seed Organization has been super kill. I get more requests for Emdog than any other strain.. White Fire OG is prolly my #1 favorite of all time, I kept a whole plant to myself of that stuff and I never do that.

9. You ever need to water daily in veg? 1 of my 10 gal seems super light weight and almost looks thirsty by the second day. Not sure if its the HPS making it look that way though. I had to put it in the veg lamp cause the MH went out. Should have a new MH today or tomorrow.

10. Ya the bigger ones that have been in the pots a while start to drink quite a bit, even in veg. I try to keep everything damp as good as possible.

You can always water a little more than 10% runoff if you want to stretch the waterings out further.

11. ive noticed that to be the case too. The OG kush I just moved to bloom tonight was drinking every day in a 7g
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433301836.390463.jpg

I love this method. I could thank iron everyday for putting me onto this and it wouldn't be enough. Took my garden to the next lvl forsure. So so so so simple. ️

12. Oooo lookin super nice Tree!

Keep in mind that in the smaller pots, it gets hard to keep them damp enough even watering everyday. The bigger pots will do it too, but not nearly as much as the smaller pots.. It can get to be quite a chore to keep them damp enough. You might wanna think about eventually moving up to bigger pots 10+ should treat you really really good.

But now that you know it works.. Getting bigger is just the next natural step. I'm super happy it's worked out so well for ya brotha!

13. Got here, and got schooled.

Just missing the roots ex and the vam. I gotta read this everyday.

Got my next rou d from sanctuary garden going in with this method will post some pics here to show their progress using this formula.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Hey Ironhead, hope you don't mind me asking you and your followers this here, but:
    I was hoping to get some opinions on these little gals. Auto AK47 fem.
    The seeds are from 2.5 years ago, 4/8 germed. They're in cocotek coco, about 65/35 with perlite. top covered in perlite to hold moisture. using h3ads (flora micro/bloom) at half strength with 5ml calmag (going to get epsom tomorrow) in distilled water ph to between 5.7 and 6.0. 600w MH. day temps between 75-83F and night 60-70F. Getting 16 hours light, to be bumped up to 20 once they're bigger. 
    I'm kind of concerned on how they're doing, given they were weak seeming from germ, worst I've ever had (germed in paper towels, always worked great before)   I was wondering what I can do to fix them, or help them along, they've been in coco about a week now, and the slowest growing I've ever had. I hydrated the coir with tap water and rinsed twice with tap, also rinsed the perlite to rid of powders. before dropping the seeds in the coco i ran about a half gallon of the half strength h3ads through the coco (3 gallon felt pots) I've been giving them about a quart each every other day. 
    The one that looks crappy and bent over had a hell of a time shedding the seed shell, so I eventually picked it off carefully. (didn't want to interfere too soon) 
    Anyways, any advice is much appreciated. Obviously I'd like to make the most of these, but I'm also germing some white widow and special kush #1 to veg while the ak is growing. I figure the AK is going to be a bit of learning experience in coco, so the WW and kush comes out great. Thanks for your time, I know this is a little lengthy. 
    View attachment 1789919
    View attachment 1789917
    View attachment 1789916
    View attachment 1789915
    View attachment 1789914

Oh yeah mate I just thought you might of used the 3 part before switching to H3AD and would of noticed any differences if at all.
    This N def was when I was still learning the basics so you're probably right and it was a watering or PH issue and not lack of it being available.

Try LED/HPS for flower if you haven't already, compliment each other well and far exceeded my expectations. I haven't got room for two hoods so no HPS/MH combo atm unfortunately. 

16. Please expand on tis... what deficiencies would one expect...???

17. Welcome friend! I have no doubt you will kick this next grow right in the teeth.

18. #118 gardnerthegardener, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
    Hey Iron, here is a pic of my first coco plant going into flower. It will be 2 weeks, but she is next up. She is drinkin like a mo fo! Prolly gonna have to water daily for her now.
    This is Nocturnal #5
    20150602_214822~2.jpg
    20150602_224514~2.jpg

Fan leave off Nocturnal #1
    IMG_20150602_224620.jpg

19. Hey man!

Best thing I can tell ya to do is to drop that Cal/mag.. Go with te 1 gram of Epsom salt per gallon and you will be rockin it in no time.

Seedlings are hard to judge when they need more water, so I usually put my seedling cups down in trays, then fill the tray and let them drink as they want, not what I force on top of them. I try to add enough water, so the tray is almost dry the next day, then I add a little more and so on.

I'll switch to watering thru the top when they have 5 sets of leaves.. I've found I get way better growth later in the plants lives when I water from the top.

So get them suckers in trays and you should be good to go. You might find they need to dry out a little.. A few do look slightly overwatered, so they might not drink that much from the tray at first, but give it a few days.. Coco holds the perfect level of moisture all by itself, so it will even out the seeds no problemo.

If ya have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask friend. I'll be happy to help you get it figured out and growing the best ganja you've ever seen. :)

20. Na I've been on the H3ad formula for quite some time.. Ever since the beginning actually. I love this way of growing.

I don't have hoods in flower either.. The vertical bare bulb setup changed my life. I know LED's are up and comin.. But not quite there yet.. I know they will be industry standard before too long.. I'm stoked to save money on my power bill.