Iron deficiency, but plenty of iron?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by BackyardGrower, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Pictures are of my plant with the worst chlorosis (looks worse in person) but almost all my plants are showing the same symptom.
    I've added plenty of rust water to my soil and it has not improved. I tried lowering the PH using Epsoma soil acidifier, but that doesn't seem to be making a difference either. I added a cup top dressed and about half a cup mixed in water and used to water that in for a 25 gallon pot.

Am I not lowering the PH enough, is it a completely different problem, how do I fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Doesn't look like an iron deficiency. You say you tried lowering ph? What was the soil ph before you adjusted it? What is it now? What are you feeding them? How often?

3. This is my first grow, so I'm probably wrong, but it looks just like the early stages of an iron deficiency to me when I look at pics like https://drcannabis.io/iron-deficiency-marijuana

I do not know what the PH was or is. I did buy a simple PH tester, but I don't know how to actually measure the PH. I've seen people suggest water until you get run off and measure that. I've read that you should just get the soil wet and stick the PH meter in there. I've also read that both those methods are inaccurate and useless.

I feed them JLF and small amounts of FFJ (Korean natural farming). I also use LABS and occasionally JMS. I also mixed some vinegar and crab shell to try and extract calcium and phosphorus, I add small amounts of that too. I am growing different strains and not following a specific schedule for feeding.
    I am trying to just add things slowly and learn while not burning anything.

4. The only issue with that is, unless you write down everything you add, and how much, it can become very confusing. A piece of advice: never adjust ph without first knowing what your ph is. That is just asking for problems. With such a large variety of fertilizers, I can't say one way or the other what is going on with her. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Peace.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have some plants doing something similar right now. I’ve seen it before but only on this strain. It’s clearly a sign of stress if some sort. The plants I see it on were left outside over night on some cold nights that also had rain and had waterlogged them badly. They had trays under them and they filled with water, letting the bottom of the pots stay saturated for 12 hours or so. Out of 400 plants that this happened to only the one strain is affected.
    I’m not sure exactly what it is, but I’m going with root issues. Maybe some rot. Or it threw the pH out of whack. I transplanted them into the big beds and that are growing well but still show signs of stress similar to yours :thumbsdown:

6. I'm not sure what your issue is but if you decide to mess with the ph I'd advise getting a meter that can be calibrated and possibly a 2nd one for comparison. I fucked my plants up a little early on in my grow using a cheapo amazon ph meter and when I got a 2nd one and calibrated it I realized the forst one was reading waaaaay higher than it actually was so while I thought I was at 6.2-6.6ish I was actually closer to 5.5

7. I've gone back to ph test strips. My 3 different ph meters, even when freshly calibrated all read different. Also my water hasn't changed in 3 years, so I only measure ph about once a month anymore. I've added the same amount of PH down for so long it's almost just habit now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. So this is something I have been confused by. I have a PH meter, but a lot of the comments make me think it's essentially useless.
    Are the test strips a better way to go? And do I just stick those in the wet dirt or what?

It does seem the plant is improving, it's not completely green again, but there is a bit less yellow. I have only been messing with the PH of one of my plants. When I started this plant had the worst chlorosis. Now it's about middle of the pack. So I think I'm gonna keep trying to lower the PH here, and I'll slowly start adjusting the PH of the other unhealthy plants too.

I'm seeing other deficiencies now too, so I've gotta study more to try and figure them out.
    Growing 5 different Strains outdoors with a bunch of homemade inputs for your first grow is probably the opposite of what everyone here would recommend, but I'm having fun figuring it all out. Thanks for the help.
    :icgreen:

9. Personally I ph test the water and adjust before watering. I've never tested soil or runoff. 6.5 ballpark target. I used to get anal about hitting as close to 6.5 as possible, but ballpark is close enough, for me anyways. 6.2-6.8 all seems ok.

10. I have 17 plants and when I started adjusting the ph I noticed they all were reacting differently to it so after a couple weeks I just stopped and now they're all looking pretty solid so I don't really see any need to mess with it anymore for my grow personally

• Like Like x 1
  11. To test soil, use equal amount of soil and distilled water in a cup and let it settle out for an hour. Then use your pH tester on the water. :thumbsup: