Ireland Overturns Abortion Ban

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, May 26, 2018.

1. Apologies for bumping an old thread but couldn't not respond.

A great day for Ireland and a well deserved kick in the bollox for Rome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nothing like celebrating evil....... Shame on Ireland.

[​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Fake news, distortions from the right, Sanger never said that.

http://time.com
    Much of the controversy stems from a 1939 letter in which Sanger outlined her plan to reach out to black leaders — specifically ministers — to help dispel community suspicions about the family planning clinics she was opening in the South.

“We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members,” she wrote. It was, as the Washington Post called it, an “inartfully written” sentence, but one that, in context, describes the sort of preposterous allegations she feared — not her actual mission. The irony is that it has been used to propagate those very allegations. Cruz’s letter to the director of the National Portrait Gallery, for example, quotes only the first half of the sentence.

In 1966, Martin Luther King Jr. made clear that he agreed that Sanger’s life’s work was anything but inhumane. In 1966, when King received Planned Parenthood’s Margaret Sanger Award in Human Rights, he praised her contributions to the black community. “There is a striking kinship between our movement and Margaret Sanger’s early efforts,” he said. “…Margaret Sanger had to commit what was then called a crime in order to enrich humanity, and today we honor her courage and vision.”

:smoke:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pulled from Wikiquotes.

"As an advocate of birth control I wish … to point out that the unbalance between the birth rate of the 'unfit' and the 'fit,' admittedly the greatest present menace to civilization, can never be rectified by the inauguration of a cradle competition between these two classes. In this matter, the example of the inferior classes, the fertility of the feeble-minded, the mentally defective, the poverty-stricken classes, should not be held up for emulation.... On the contrary, the most urgent problem today is how to limit and discourage the over-fertility of the mentally and physically defective."

"If plants, and live stock as well, require space and air, sunlight and love, children need them even more. The only real wealth of our country lies in the men and women of the next generation. A farmer would rather produce a thousand thoroughbreds than a million runts.

How are we to breed a race of human thoroughbreds unless we follow the same plan? We must make this country into a garden of children instead of a disorderly back lot overrun with human weeds."

Lovely woman.

"Black Project..?"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Her thrust was not racial though.
    She did discourage the mentally and physically handicap from reproducing.

Distasteful? Likely to many.

6. I can get behind the mentally handicapped notion IF that's what she was getting at but her quotes definitely give off a racist vibe.

Vibes are not enough for an accusation and she's dead so we can't ask.

*shrug*

"Black Project..?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Honestly, only a fool would believe that...... Come on man, just pure dishonest.....Next you will say Hitler never killed a jew.......

8. There is no reason to insinuate that I am a fool.

I believe MLK whom lived in the period and interacted with her over a silly meme that is purely a hate meme.
    Where is Your evidence to the contrary? I am willing to weigh factual information, but definitely not pure rhetoric.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sure....

Do you know where Planned Parenthood came from? What government agency closed and the management moved to Planned Parenthood? What was Margret Sanger's relationship to this previously dissolved group? There lies your answers. Let me know if you need a hint.

History and facts can be a real pain in the butt, lol.

10. As busy as things are here, a link or two would be appreciated.

11. Funny how you claim something is a fake claim from the right.... Yet you don't even know the history.

So let me shed some light, then it's on you to learn.

This was just my first google search.... I have read a handful of books on the subject
    Margaret Sanger and the eugenics movement – The Denver Post

Paragraph two:
    "Margaret Sanger belonged to an organization called the American Eugenics Society, organized in the early 1900’s. Members from the American Eugenics Society actually formed Sanger’s original group whose name was changed to Planned Parenthood, but even the latter’s first three presidents were officers or members in the AES, including Alan Guttmacher. Sanger is listed as a member in 1956 under her then-married name, Mrs. Noah Slee."

For those of you that don't know what eugenics is...... it was real popular with the Nazi's during the same time it was popular in America, however we tend to erase that part of our history.....

eu·gen·ics
    yo͞oˈjeniks/
    noun
    1. the science of improving a human population by controlled breeding to increase the occurrence of desirable heritable characteristics. Developed largely by Francis Galton as a method of improving the human race, it fell into disfavor only after the perversion of its doctrines by the Nazis.

What do you know.... Nazi was actually in the definition.......

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. So when you see memes like this, that is exactly what she was about.

[​IMG]

13. There is a distinct difference. Her view or attitude on eugenics was not racial in nature, but was directed to mental and physical defects.

Not a very appealing view to many, but it wasn't racially directed.
    This has already been touched upon in this thread.

That last meme is much more accurate than the first.

Here is a fact check article. It should also be noted that while Sanger was very much into birth control, she wasn't cool about abortions.
    Heck Planned Parenthood's first offerings of abortions was four years after her death.
    It likely started with Pat Robertson twisting chit - again.

Pat Robertson absurdly says Sanger, King conspired in black genocide

It should be noted that Planned Parenthood started providing abortions in 1970, four years after Sanger’s death, according to Katherine Lozada, a spokeswoman for the organization. They were offered by the chapter in Syracuse, N.Y., after the repeal of a state law that criminalized abortion.

Planned Parenthood’s role as an abortion provider took off after the U.S. Supreme Court, in its 1973 Roe v Wade decision, ruled that women have a right to abortions.

Sanger, in a 1932 article for The Nation, wrote, "Although abortion may be resorted to in order to save the life of the mother, the practice of it merely for the limitation of offspring is dangerous and vicious."

Baker told us that "in time, she became upset by the rise in incidence of illegal abortion and pushed the idea of staff physicians administering pregnancy tests and referring pregnant women to hospitals for ‘therapeutic’ abortions.

"Sanger's ideas were changing, but she was always sensitive to the idea because she believed that birth control could effectively prevent conception, and abortion would be unnecessary," Baker said.

Our ruling

Robertson said that Sanger "wanted a black Christian leader to be like a Judas goat and lead the blacks to genocide. Remember that? And they picked Martin Luther King as their spokesman."

His statement twists a sentence Sanger wrote in a 1939 letter - discussing the need to seek the support of black ministers in a program to promote birth control in the South - into a murderous conspiracy.

His claim that King became the spokesman for the effort is just as preposterous and rests on a 1966 award the civil rights leader received from Planned Parenthood for his support of family planning.

We rate Robertson’s incendiary statement Pants on Fire.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Something else that should be noted is that federal funding to Planned Parenthood IS NOT USED FOR ABORTIONS.

Slaves to confirmation bias don't seem to get that...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. So your argument is..... the government should be giving money to organizations that kill people, as long as that money isn't used to kill people? Seems very strange.........

Reminds me of the MS-13 are somehow not animals argument.

16. #56 Bulldog11, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Once again, internet quotes from people in the last 10 years really means nothing to me. Pick up a book, maybe one published back in her time. Read about the Eugenics program, it dealt with race as well as the handicap. She worked side by side with Nazi's, who were exterminating the Jewish "race".

Either read from her own writings, or quote something Warren Fisk wrote about what Pat Robertson said....... What ever works for you.

17. I think the fact checkers have done a good job in discrediting the false rhetoric that Pat was spouting.

She did not work side by side with the Nazis, that is pure poppycock.

18. She was part of the Eugenics Program.

She sterilized black women

She shared and pushed the same ideas as the Nazi's.

She started planned parenthood, who is responsible for the death of over 60 million children.

She is/was pure evil. Same as abortion itself.

19. I don't think you really know what she did or did not do.
    Do we blame the founding fathers for all the sins of America?

20. #60 Bulldog11, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Actually, everybody knows what she did and what her beliefs are. Some are just trying to justify it.

Comparing a country to an individual is apples to oranges, imo.