IR cameras and heat detection

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dabbish, Jun 20, 2011.

1. #1 dabbish, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
    Hi all,
    Suppose I have 4 1000W HPS lights in a shed with cooltubes, ice coolers and an air conditioner that keeps the temperature to a steady 68F (20C). Would it still be visible by an IR camera either from the air or the street? If so, how much do they register?
    Thanks.

2. Well if you have an AC unit running in their, it should be no problem...the IR camera peoples will just think it is a heated shed....nothing suspicious about that, being that it is a reasonable size. And also you would want to make sure your shed is airtight, being only the exhaust vent

3. To an infrared camera, a 1000w will stand out more in a colder area because the difference between the temperature of the arc tube & that of the air around the lamp will be greater.

Since you can't decrease the temp of the arc tube any considerable amount, any effort spent blocking IR cameras should be put into shielding panels they can't see through.

4. You can buy stuff from some grow shops that blocks out IR, it comes in a roll just like panda film does. Or the stuff from that the military use works well :smoke:

5. Awesome. I didn't know such a thing existed. I will look into that then. Thank you for your help everyone.

6. US Supreme Court rulled that IR trolling was no constitutional. Dunno if your in the US. Thats not to hard to remedy since there are Judges that work 24/7 to issue warrants. The other thing about worrying about IR is the equipment is expensive. Right now I think 48 or 49 of all 50 states in the union are running massive deficits..just not at the Federal Level. So if they do do that they do it alot less. Trolling around in a chopper is very expensive.

IR Blocker