ipower 1000 watt could have burnt my house down

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by rdiz420, Feb 17, 2014.

1. #1 rdiz420, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    I plugged my ipower 1000 watt grow light in my 20 amp dedicated outlet and then POP goes the ballast and it started smoking. I used this same light for 3 days before and didn't have a problem. I bought two of these light kits. At first I thought it could of been the outlet because I had just installed it using my electrical skills so I wouldn't be overloading any circuits, but I tested it with a 1500 watt space heater, toaster, and microwave oven and it didn't trip the breaker like the light when it started smoking. So I go and plug the other light I bought in and it ran perfect. I wasn't sure what was bad. I plug in the working ballast into the other hood and almost instantly it shorted out and tripped the breaker again. The second ballast still works though on the other hood even tho it shorted. I'm guessing the fixture is bad or something but honestly I don't trust this brand at all now. The ballast is digital. I heard that the magnetic ones are better. Needless to say I won't be running this brand and looking for another brand to run. Anyone got any suggestions? Hopefully I can still get a return on them cuz they were $300 each at a total of $600.

2. I like to run the switchable magnetic ballasts from Sun Sysyems. Very reliable but do run hotter but not by much. $200-300 range.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Have 9 Ipower 250's and haven't had any issues with them in 14 months running every day.

Just bad luck.