IOWA- Ditch weed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by turborunner, Apr 30, 2008.

1. I grew up on a huge farm , anyways we own several country blocks..(mile gravel roads on each side) all together. We have this patch on some CRP land that is insane. My dad has been tryint to kill it off for years. This stuff is crap, but I have believe there is value in some of the traits, it is obvioulsy a very hardy strain(I use the term loosley). We just let it grow now as it is a good food source for the pheasants and other birds. They love the seeds and our pheasant population is increasing while it is decreasing across much of the state. So that is a bonus as well. Next spring I am going to plop some quality gentics into the ground, chop all males I can find (within reason) and see what happens. I figure after enough years something good will come out and be dominate.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wild hemp is fairly high in CBD. Check out the documentary run from the cure. Maybe you can breed a cancer cure from your hemp strain?

3. You can't grow good weed by the ditch weed, it will just cross contaminate and will turn your good weed into crap. The wind is a huge problem in causing this. Just make there isn't any ditch weed within at least 500-1000 ft. Away from where you plant.

4. Agreed BudMaker...I grow outside and just plant away from any ditch..usually using windbreaks and and natural landscape to help with cross pollination. I usually end up with a few seeds, but nothing major. I was thinking though, when I try and cross pollinate this patch of ditch, I should use males instead of females. It just makes more sense that way. This is gonna be a the start of a decade long project lol. Prob just end up feeding the pheasants..still a win in my book.

5. ^ I say go for it. Who knows the chaos that could be released. Huge cola bearing plants growing wildely all over the Midwest would be epic. :)

6. ya this was along time ago when i posted this and its funny that i found this post because im and now just geting off probation for intent to deliver,drug tax stamp, and pariphnila (and i only had zig zags) i was on for 3 yrs i had to go to jackson for over a yr and i have prob 5 grand in fines.

7. yep ditch weed is everywhere, Always full of seeds. Look along fence lines and drainage ditchs. Not all of the plants are the same. Sometimes you can spot a bright green plant among others. making hash is a good idea!

8. Some friends of mine grew outdoors successfully a few years ago. They had feminized Blue Cheese seeds that each produced some decent nugs that contained a few seeds. The seeds were then harvested and grown indoors which also yielded dank. If you start with seeds you know are legit and keep pollination down, you will be fine.