Iowa democratic party jumps on the mmj industrial hemp bandwagon

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Green Wizard, Jun 20, 2012.

1. whoa! The democrats want your vote!

Iowa Democrats Add Medical Cannabis and Industrial Hemp to Party Platform | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Iowa Democrats Add Medical Cannabis and Industrial Hemp to Party Platform
    by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Coordinator
    June 20, 2012
    shareshare
    Earlier this year, the Colorado Democrats announced their support for marijuana legalization in their 2012 party platform. On June 9th, the Texas Democrats endorsed marijuana decriminalization. Last weekend, the North Carolina Democratic Party added resolutions supporting medical cannabis and industrial hemp. Now, the Iowa Democratic party is the latest one lining up to support sensible marijuana laws.

At their state convention on June 16th, the Iowa Democrats adopted their 2012 platform. Two of the policies endorsed within were medical cannabis use and the industrial cultivation of hemp. You can view the full 2012 Iowa Democratic Party platform here.

Also worth noting, on June 2nd, the Washington State Democratic Party built upon their earlier endorsement of their state's legalization initiative, I-502, by adding support for full marijuana legalization and medical cannabis as planks in their party platform. You can view the 2012 Washington State Democratic Party Platform here. Recent data from Public Policy Polling has shown the majority Washington State voters

2. You're going to make a thread for each state or what?

3. what.

Just kidding. yeah man. you know, people are from different places.

You have to say it is peculiar how the democrats are wising up to the potheads.

4. I hate separating people based on political parties

5. I don't think it so much about that. I mean, if we want to walk down the path towards marijuana legalization, then we have to come together and walk together. Once we get it legal, then you can crawl back to your own political corner and gripe about the other guys in the other corner, only this time, you'll be stoned off your ass with no worries.

6. they need votes..

it's election season.

they were all into weed in 2008 as well.

7. It's becoming a much bigger issue this time around. 2012 is seeing legalization measures up in 4 states, with a good chance for two of them to succeed. That's major dude.

8. I hope you're right man..

i've just seen this movie before. and until the ending is different i'll continue to be skeptical.

they did decrim and MMJ in my state recently.. hopefully they expand on both because both are pretty lame imo.

decrim is only 1/2 oz and the MMJ is so grower unfriendly, it sucks :(

9. If they want votes then legalize it without taxation or regulation. Anything other than that is frankly unacceptible.

10. Trust me, i'm just as cynical as the next guy. But if the democratic party is willing to talk the talk, then it's up to us to make sure they walk the walk.

11. Easy to say when you don't have to worry about making that decision when it could effect if you hold office or not. full blown legalization is still a sticky subject most politicians would rather not discuss.

12. yeah..

they all (politicians in general) just don't seem to cave under pressure from the constituents these days... whether it's war, weed or paying huge banks o stay in business.. the people speak and no one listens.

but we keep voting for them based on election time promises.

13. They won't discuss it because they're all bought off by lobbyists not to. Simple. It's easy for me to state that full legalization is all that matters?

It's not an "ethical dilema" it's a black and white issue and the fact that dems and repubs haven't done it means they're both money-grabbing corporatists twats, Fuck them all. Especially fuck Obama.

14. I think we'll have better luck at the local and state level when it comes to marijuana. We get enough pro-marijuana states, it will become a huge burden for the feds and they'll be forced to change their laws.