Iolite works wonders with oil!! (a sort of how I did it..)

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by grassKi, Nov 16, 2012.

1. #1 grassKi, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
    Hello all,
    First time poster, long time reader of these forums.
    I thought I would share my experiences with my newish
    Iolite original. I have had it now for about a month and have not looked back.
    I find it quite noisy when it fires up and other than the lack of variable temp
    control it is a great little device.
    As the chamber is small you cannot expect the same hit as a volcano but it does
    the job well. My next purchase is either a solo or a V-tower but the way I use the
    vape a portable system is easier in a family environment. The pax is too expensive
    and not available in Europe yet.
    So I tried weed and hash in it. The weed work fine, the hash makes a mess. The
    mess made by hash is at most time consuming as I like to keep things nice and clean.
    I spoke to a friend (thanks Arni!) and he suggested I try make some oil. Having never
    done such a thing I researched and found that cotton 'swabs' were used to carry the
    oil in the vape.
    I then proceeded to take some babyies pure cotton 'wipes' (not the ones with perfumes
    and so on in it, just the normal plain ones) and test this in the iolite. No fumes or smoke
    was given off and it smelt of toasted cotton. I decided to use this cotton wipe as a medium.
    For the actual oil, I only had Iso so this is what I used. It was easy enough to grind up the
    hash and then mix it with the Iso. I might have let it sit too long as it rested for a day and
    night. I used an new clean rag (coffee filters also work apparently) and filtered as best I
    could the mixture into another little jar. I then put the jar on an incline and left it open to the
    air to evaporate. It took about 2 - 3 days to get to what looked like an oil (very sticky and
    syrupy ). I then added as little iso as possible to liquidity the oil a bit and put in a
    small strip of cotton wadding. This I measured to fit in the iolite chamber. After
    another day of drying the cotton has soaked up most of the oil and dried off. I hung
    the cotton out to dry a further day in a warm room. When manipulating the cotton
    wadding It was very sticky and smelt (and tasted!) as it should.
    Last night I had some time to test this. I thought is would be extremely strong and
    so cut a piece smaller than 1 cm2.
    I can report that this works great!! it does not smell much and has the desired effect.
    On top of this it is very easy to clean. Just pull out the spent cotton and that is it! I did
    use the iolite 'optimiser' 3 pronged thing but I am not sure it was necessary.
    I would be happy to answer any questions about this and I will continue my experimentation.
    I have batch 2 ready and batch 3 (much bigger) is drying as I type.
    If anyone is interested I can post photos. I have made a small 'drying rack' that hangs
    over the mouth of a small jar. This was done to keep the end of the cotton wadding in
    the iso as it evaporated (still on an incline). This worked great at soaking up the last
    of the iso.
    As I said, I am quite impressed with the iolite and am now looking for a portable vape
    with temp control.
    As a first time vape user I find the effects different and not so immediate. Vapeing is
    slower but if you are patient enough well worth it.
    Off to read some more cool forum posts!
    K.

2. What did this post look like before you edited it for formatting? :p

3. it went off the page, I need to learn to use the return key more...
    =)