Investing?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by yoyoman305dade, Mar 23, 2011.

1. I've been seriously considering saving my first few thou once I get a job, since I'm still at home mooching like no other, and buying stocks and shit, I've been reading bout this shit and was wondering if any blades out there invest/have any advice. I'm gunna try to diversify my investments and shit, like the more sources of income I can have, the more weed I can smoke. :hello:

P.S.
    I know a few thousand won't do much but its a start, I wanna start young.

2. I bought some CD's(when I was 14) and started a 401K(when I was 18). Every year the CD's roll over I skim the interest earned off and toss that into my 401K + what I add from my paycheck and other earnings.

I really have no interest in playing the stock market, I don't know enough and even with advice from my friends who work for PNC and First Niagara I'd rather not gamble

3. I defiantly considered getting bonds. I feel stupid that I didn't think about doing this shit when I was just starting high school, Like I could already have been started. I'm thinking of buying some dependable stocks for long term then fuck around with little ones.

4. I'm really not sure how the bond market is these days. I feel you might get a better %rate on a CD over 12months(which you can re-roll or then use) vs. a bond over years. I have bonds that my parents/grandparents/other family members bought me for birthdays(1-5years maybe?) but I probably wouldn't go out and buy more right now.

And yes dependable stocks are good options too. Check the history and talk to someone who does it for a living.

5. that's a good idea man, i started investing a few years ago in stocks and it's really paid off. you just gotta stay with it long term to really enjoy the compound interest. look up the dogs of the dow, that's what i did. i picked the stocks with the highest dividends

6. How much did you initally invest? and what type of payout are you getting?

7. i initially invested about $6,000 divided up between 6 companies, so about a grand worth of each companies stock. Then a year later i kept the same investments but added another $5,000. Some companies have done better than others, but they've all gone up. Between dividends and stock appreciation my portfolio's up to about $15,000 from the $11,000 i put into it

8. I was planning on starting with 1000-5000, thanks for the info.