Investing in diamonds

Discussion in 'General' started by ZihgZag, Apr 26, 2013.

1. I am a man of hard assets (gold, silver) but I am really interested in investing in diamonds if they are feasible. From what I've read fancy colored diamonds are much better for investing with red and blue diamonds doubling in value even 5 years, pink every 7 and yellow every 8-10.

The problem is that every diamond is unique and it exceedingly difficult to put an exact price on. In investing bigger diamonds are better, but how much better? I'd rather buy a bunch of small ones because you can get abetter spread first of all and secondly a 1 ct flawless blue can be well over 100,000 which is way too much money for me.

Is there anyone on the boards in the diamond business or has any insight? Maybe I'm in the wrong section to seek this kind of expertise.

Any help or input would be legit

2. Hi ZihgZag,

My name is Ami Elstein and I represent the Waldman Diamond Company, an international diamond manufacturer. WDC has developed an investor package that simplifies the process of investing in diamonds. For the first time, private investors can now purchase and resell investment grade, GIA-certified, laser inscribed, polished diamonds at wholesale prices through an online Investment Diamond Exchange.

Ernst & Young conducted a benchmark study on Waldman's Investment Diamonds in December 2012 and found that our investment-grade diamond prices are 6% below average international wholesale prices and 25-46% lower than online retail prices.

For more info please visit The Waldman Diamond Group

3. Go for silver, always holds its value, gold has its ups and downs, diamonds seem kinda taboo for me as an investment, shit like wars in sierra Leone floods the market and price goes down then goes back up when they made new laws.

Just my $0.02

4. investing in diamonds is a bad idea, big companies holds supply to keep demand high

5. diamonds are worthless, common rock. unless you're jewish try rare earth metals

6. Diamond supply is stagnant/decreasing - this is due to the fact that no new diamond mines have been discovered in the past 10-15 years (even if discovered today it will take about 10 years to begin extracting stones) while demand is increasing especially in the East (China, India, Singapore...).(China and India Emerging as Drivers of Diamond Demand | Resource Investing News)

Diamonds are different than other commodities as there is barely any speculative trading like in gold.

The serious players in the diamond industry use the Kimberly process (Kimberley Process) to avoid blood diamonds.

7. ^ This AmiElstein created an account just to give his expertise on the diamond investing industry? Pretty random, I like what he's saying though.

One other thing to consider is that diamonds can be artificially created with increasing efficiency. Even though most people don't like artificial diamonds, this is going to have a dramatic impact on the supply.