Introductions.......

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Buzzilla, Jan 8, 2010.

1. What up, new to the site, thought I'd introduce myself.....

Started trolling about a week ago, joined a couple days ago, been feverishly reading everything I can for the last 7 days......

Starting from square one here, knew absolutely nothing 7 days ago....N-O-T-H-I-N-G

Got some lofty goals, I want to build a nice 4x4x8 grow mini-room with a separate mother/clone space right now I'm looking at using a bubbler hydro system with a scrog....(I'm learning fast here, lol)

Hoping to have 5-6 nice female clones starting veg in 6 months.....

What do you think, can it be done?

Looking forward to learning like crazy from you experienced guys/girls, huge wealth of knowledge here!!

2. I think ya should start in soil or a neutral soil substrate which is much more forgiving than any hydro set-up (personally I like the taste better of organic soil over hydro and the bud is just as good, just a little more time to finish in soil over hydro) I use 50% coco 50% pro-mix after using many different types and I feed with hydro nuts, works great. And will allow much more learning than failing for a first grower. But good to have ya here you will learn a lot, just try to listen when someone that knows there shit tells ya something, they are usually right if they got respect on here they know about farmin.

3. What about lights? Whatcha thinkin?

4. It's going to take me a bit to digest that post being a newbie, I'll get back to you after a bit. Thanks, all advise is welcome as I am a fairly blank slate at this point...

5. Well so far, reading the scrog guide, the area would dictate at least a 600w HPS I believe, still looking into supplimental lighting and also looking into whether an MH is a requirement or a luxury...

6. Its a luxury, and you can buy conversion bulbs for your HPS later if you want, or buy an MH later for your vegging plants. But if you are only to have one light the most efficient is def a 600 watt hps...even over a 1000 watt hps, its more efficient. So your room is about what 8x8 or so? Your are already doin things right, not growing with CFLs you are on the good road

7. No, 4x4 (8' high)...on the outside....was looking at a 3.5 x 3.5 grow area/screen......

I actually have a 9x10 room available, but I figure no sense in overdoing it, it just jacks up the costs....from lighting to carbon filter....

8. You say that there is an actual TASTE dif from soil to hydro? Pretty wild...

9. I use a 400w so I can get any MH bulb I want. you will discover that finding a 600w halide is a pain in the ass, you wont have much of a choice. A good friend of mine uses this one Hydrofarm - Sun Pulse SPG66.4K Sun Pulse 600W MH Pulse Start 6.4K and loves it.

I ran my first HID grow with a 430 hortilux from start to finish, no MH but the 430 adds blue spectrum. I ran my second veg cycle with a MH from home depot and I noticed a significant growth rate increase. The only thing is, you won't find a 600w MH for $30, at least I couldn't. I don't shop online though, I like to support my community.

Bottom line in my opinion since I seemed to ramble a bit is, for $30 a MH is a requirement, for $125 I call it a luxury. A couple proven and respected growers on here have done tests with shop bulbs versus grow bulbs and they didn't notice an increase in yield with a grow light. Grow bulbs are SUPPOSED to last longer and keep their proper spectrum for longer but I can get three home depot HPS bulbs for the price of one hortilux.