Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Wiehann, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Hey there people. Im joining a cannabis forum for the first time, hoping that this will be the right place to get good advice and answers to my frustrating grow problems. I live in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa and I'm currently growing outdoor plants from my 2nd floor balcony. I'm looking forward to getting some support or second opinions on my grow and to help you guys out where I can.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

2. hay welcome to the city. some times the growing section of the city wont show up for some people. if that happens to be the case for you check out this link. Outdoor Marijuana Growing

3. #3 Wiehann, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    I'm still sort of a new grower and testing different methods, but I know the basics of growing cannabis and also some more advanced techniques. Im currently busy with my 4th grow. My personal experience is the following:

1st Grow was in 2009, I was still busy with high-school back then. I grew basic outdoor in my mom's garden, no fancy equipment or product's. It was rather cayotic with poor planning but I definitely learned alot.

2nd Grow was in 2011. Me and my friend bought a 1.5m by 1.5m fold out greenhouse and set it up in his back yard. That was a rather nice soil grow. Unfortunately he moved the following year and we have not yet found a good location to setup the tent again.

3de Grow in 2012. This time we experimented with indoor, built 2 boxes. Vegetation box 1m by 1m with a 150watt MH light, flowering box 2.5m by 2m with a 400watt HPS, still soil grow. It was really great to be able to control most aspects of the plants environment. We sold the setup to a friend after our first grow because I moved once again and no longer had space for that setup.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. My current grow is on a 2nd floor balcony 3m by 3m, covered with 35% black shade cloth (only using it for visibility because the complex opposite myne has a good view of my terrace)

I'm using 50/50 cocopeat perlite mix with nutriplex flora series. Started vegging October 2016.

I didn't have high hopes for a big yield as my balcony only gets direct sunlight from 10am - 2pm (4 hours) and the rest of the day only bright light.

Flowering started early January 2017. I have 30 plants in total (all of them female) Before you laugh at the ridiculous amount of plants bear in mind that I didn't think my yield would be good becouze the amount of sunlight was minimal so I tried to compensate with more plants.

I lollypoped all of them and tied down the main colas to form a even canopy. The buds looked rather small as I expected, but then all if a sudden within a matter of a week the buds grew much bigger than I thought would be possible. To that point every thing turned out rather amazing and I was very surprised.

Im now in my final few week's of flowering and the weather took a turn for the worst, it's beencloudy with constant rain for the last 3days and the weather forecast is rainy and humid with almost no sun for the next 2-3 weeks.

This is where I urgently need advice, I moved my plants into the house last night to avoid mould and bud rot, I think the final weeks of the plants will have to be indoors with little access to light or sun. Very unfortunate and frustrating!! I will post some pics now of how they currently look.

Please give me your input or suggestions (I don't think that I will be able to give the plant's artifical light becouze my wife is complaining about it already)

5. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Youve got powdered mildew all over them and the pots ur using were not big enough to support bud sizes much bigger then they are def stretched due to lack of sun but all in all you got bud you grew thats the great part so be safe happy growing

8. Youve got powdered mildew all over them and the pots ur using were not big enough to support bud sizes much bigger then they are def stretched due to lack of sun but all in all you got bud you grew thats the great part so be safe happy growing

9. Thanx for diagnosing that for me, I was wondering what the powder was. Sorry for al these questions, Is it serious and will it affect the plant badly? What is the causes and can I fix it? Or should I not worry about it?

10. The cause is to high humidity and or no breeze it will ruin your plants it spreds from plant to plant of it were me id carefully spray and wipe every but I could off and introduce a couple fans in them to keep it breezy as best possible

11. I'm sorry it's caused from dry hot climate as well and I would wipe down and get a fungicide it's a fungus mold just get fungicide for vegetable plants like tomatoes apply on the foliage (leaves) it's likely it won't rid the mildew but also likely it will slow it enough to finish out the flower stage good luck happy growing the best way to prevent fungus mold or mildew is to keep it breezy even if you have high humidity

12. Its weird because its been there for a few weeks and the plants were outside until last night, the usually get some wind out on the terrace. The humidity was not very high until the bad weather came a few days ago but the problem appeared before the bad weather. Could the humidity possible have been a side effect of the coccopeat/perlite mix that is wet most of the time, or would that not make a difference?

13. That makes a lot more sense because our usual weather ranges from 24 - 34 degrees Celsius and is relatively dry. The bad weather we are currently having is the result of a tropical cyclone taking place on our south coast

15. The small pots was used to prevent the plants from growing to big because i'm limited on space and the location is not very secure. I did not think the would grow that big but the where more than double the size of my previous soil grows in the same pots, I guess the cocopeat/perlite mix allows the plant to grow much bigger vs soil in the same size pots. But next year I will use big pots and stick to 10 plants (5 nugbuckets and 5 using scrog)

16. Welcome to the forum. You seem to have a green thumb. Would love to see what you could grow with optimal conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Here are some pics of my first grow I started little less then 48 days ago the ones in center line are autos 22 days old 20170223_030722.jpg 20170223_030656.jpg

18. Thanks, aiming to get a indoor setup towards the end of this year if things go as planned. Then the conditions will be much better compared to my current setup

• Like Like x 1
  19. That looks really good, how big is your tent? I've never grown auto flowering seeds, but looking forward to my first time. When I get a indoor set-up going again I won't be able to use a tent as it may look a bit suspicious, even though its very practical. I would have to build it into a cupboard or something, will blend in a bit better.

20. Are you growing in soil with some perlite or is that a coco peat/ perlite mix?