Introduction- Couple Questions w/ LED Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Siobud34, Jun 15, 2020.

1. I can’t speak to organics but i started using ph drops instead of a digital pen tester, they work perfectly fine and are cheaper and no maintenance necessary. I use hempy buckets which is basically drain-to-waste hydro.

my opinion, that doesn’t look like light/heat stress to me at all. I think its ph. Pics under natural light would be telling.

2. I speak from actual experiences not experiences ran on numerous plants, do you think they took every strain or selected strains? I speak from what ive seen and done with my plants. if you still believe all plants do the best vegging under 70% humidity yes you need more hands on experience.

3. Did you maybe mean lack of humidity? I never heard of humidity damage.

4. So, how many strains must I grow before being able to say that every one I have grown has done well in the 60-70% range? I've grown hundreds over the years. What is the cutoff number before I can say that my experiences align with the information provided by someone who holds a Doctorate in botany? What is your required level of experience before someone is allowed to discuss plant biology and environmental response while providing references from experts in the field? Does your personal experience invalidate my own experience and that of aforementioned experts in their field?

Man I let myself get sucked into this argument. Alright so i'll just agree to disagree with you, I have no desire to continue filling this persons thread up with unnecessary back and fourth.

5. First, hi and welcome to the forums!

IMO that kind of "limp" is typical right before lights-out, do they look the same when the lights turn on, or during the day? I see it often on my plants and they are all perky and looking great come morning.

It doesnt look like overwatering to me.

The curling up is a sign of heat stress, the plant is perspiring faster than it can uptake water. It could also be that your light is too intense for the plant at this stage. I would pull it up as far as it will go until the plants start to look better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. well I don't know what to tell you I guess you have to come to the realization that everyone has a different grow environment and what works for you may not work for everyone. If I grow at 60/70% humidity my leaves will bubble up and wrinkle I go 35 to 45 % I have healthy leaves.

7. I apologize if I got a little too worked up. Yes everyone's environment is different, my own doesn't always fall within optimal VPD range, especially my latest room as it's a basement in a different area of the country than I'm used to so the environment is not what I normally work with. I can agree to that, everyone's specific grow styles and environment will affect how successful their plants are within the environmental conditions.

I honestly do find it a curiosity that you say your leaves bubble up and wrinkle with high humidity though, I have never experienced that one. I have experienced guttation due to high humidity but not what you describe.

8. Thanks everyone for stopping in. I appreciate the discourse and passionate responses.

..uploading some pics with the "blurple" lights off. Just got a new phone that actually takes pretty decent photos in the dark!

They look much better now.. the leaves looked almost melted earlier today when I started the thread. I'm excited.. I spotted my first pistils on one plant! Confirmed 3 males tonight so I'll be removing those from the tent in the next few days.

Attached Files:

9. Those plants look good to me. I also recommend that you don’t let your soil dry out

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Most plants have a circadian cycle where their posture will change from being perky to limp and back to being perky again. I havnt really looked into why this happens but if I had to make a guess I would say the limp comes at times that the plant is secreting more sugars from its roots, loosing more moister than it is uptaking which causes the plant to lose turgidity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. My concern was more over the "melting" of the top leaves on 4 of the plants at the time of creating the thread. They just looked burnt and peeled back- some portions of the leaves gone. They've since bounced back somewhat and seem to be on the mend.

I've been poking around the site some more and looking through the Profile section.. I think I'll start a journal on my profile.

I think I may have over watered because I was trying to make sure the mulch layer (mostly very dry grass clippings and dandelions/wildflowers from my local park) stayed moist.

12. I wonder about misting the mulch with a spray bottle..

13. This is something I've been researching recently in attempt to better understand the light-dependent/independent cycles of photosynthesis when it comes to Cannabis. From what I can gather this seems it may be a result of photorespiration during the Calvin cycle which can happen if the plant closes its stomata for some reason, such as in an attempt to reduce water loss in overly dry air (especially when hot) there is an excess of o2 built up. This can lead to a Co2 loss as the o2 and Co2 ratios become imbalanced and photorespiration takes place.

Basically what you described in different words now that I re-read your comment, the Calvin cycle is where the plant starts building sugars and then photorespiration can occur when the plant is losing too much moisture and closes the stomata as a response.

I've been reading about this reaction within the plants trying to understand why they can sometimes look wilty after many hours of light, and I think surface temperatures climbing have something to do with it too but I'm still a little early into my research on this subject. Trying to better understand the wilted plants some people experience under 24hr light is what started me on this one.

14. Good to hear they are bouncing back and looking better! Grow journals are fun, unfortunately I have abandoned a few in the past as I sometimes take breaks from forums but they are always good to read and follow and watch a cycle grow.

15. That's a good way to attract gnats.

16. Could it be just a rhythm the plants get into that has nothing to do with light or darkness directly? AFAIK, aside from telling the plant when to flower, cannabis doesn't really "need" darkness, but perhaps this cycle/rhythm can be influenced by it.
    Just some highthoughts lol I'm no botanist :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Neither am I lol, just trying to understand my favorite plant better. I believe that light doesn't affect the calvin cycle which can happen during dark or light as it's the light-independant cycle depending on other factors in the plant. The changing environment between lights on and off can affect the photorespiration though as it's more of an imbalance in the cycle that can be brought upon by various environmental conditions.

Many plants just move around on their own due to various stimuli though and do have a rhythm of up and down movement like you point out, the wilted look and how to prevent it (If it's even a realistically preventable thing) is what I'm trying to nail down, it's hard to know for sure because other conditions can cause a similar appearance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. During veg I water every 2 to 3 days while in flower every other day. I try to water evenly and throughly.

19. I'm not even sure this is something that needs to be prevented.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Heya folks,

Figure I'd check in.

...attaching some new pics.

Everything looks great! I transplanted the two remaining plants into their forever homes two days ago and they're both almost bounced back fully from minor transplant shock.

Oh, and BTW, I'm growing Gorilla Glue. It's funny- I tried to be as specific as possible in my OP but I left out temp, humidity and..... strain. Stoners..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2