Interveinal yellowing/brown spots/brittle leaves on seedlings?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mercury-hg, Aug 31, 2016.

1. #1 mercury-hg, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    I’m a couple weeks into what looks like it’ll be my 3rd of 3 frustrating grows in a row.

First things first - I’m growing in a 1.7 sqft Pelican case with a 70 Watt LED panel comprised of a mixture of CREE COBs and 3W Luxeon LEDs. For my first 2 grows I used a basic organic soil mix (peat, ewc, compost, perlite, dolomite lime, tomato tone, alfalfa meal, azmoite, etc) that cooked for 2 months before it saw a plant. I’ve generally watered with tap water (pH in upper 7’s, ~200ppm TDS).

My first grow started well - 4 plants germinated and grew rapidly. But less than 2 weeks after germination the lower leaves started showing some interveinal yellowing/spotting/red rims (Mg deficiency?) and I had fungus gnats. I switched to RO water + Microbe-Lift BMC to get the fungus gnats under control and did regular epsom foliar sprays for the remainder of veg. When new growth was healthy for a week or so I flipped to 12/12. During flower I ended the foliar sprays and gradually returned to tap water. Unfortunately, the yellowing spread to the upper leaves and many of the lower leaves became brittle and brown. One of the plants hermied and pollinated the others. Harvest was pretty weak.

My second grow started as a clone and is wrapping up now. Same soil, same struggles - though no hermie or fungus gnats this time. Tap water all the way through so far...

3rd grow: on 8/15 I planted 4 seeds. To eliminate my soil mix as the problem, this time 2 seeds went into BuildASoil Classic Recipe and 2 went into Chesapeake Compost Potting Soil. Watered with tap water. All 4 poked up out of the dirt on the 18th and initial growth looked healthy. But just a few days later on the 24th I noticed interveinal yellowing, brown spotting, and flat desiccated lower leaves on all 4 plants. Now (maybe belatedly) I suspect my tap water. I flushed with RO water earlier tonight so now I just have to wait and see.

In the meantime - if the issue is my tap water, what exactly do you think the problem is? Chlorine/chloramine? Some other toxicity? A week after germination seems pretty quick for a deficiency to show up, right? Pics coming shortly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The problem was probably the guy who watered them . Fess up , take your licks , common nooby mistake .
    some Plants looks to have root rot flip over and slide root ball out , look for foul odor and brown mushy roots

3. Thanks for the reply, but that's not what is going on. I'd only watered twice in the 12 days since germinating. I only water when tge soil is dry a couple inches below the surface and the containers are nice and light. Roots were white and healthy when I transplanted last week.

On previous grows I often withheld water until there was noticeable wilting. Plus I'm not a total noob - I had 2 successful grows at my old house.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

4. my tap water is 465 PPM and 500 in not recommended for drinking ,way to much calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate and other stuff, it will interfere with the plants ability to uptake other elements .I use RO water in a soilless mix,heck my tap water is already 465PPM I like to start feeding mild dosage of ferts at around 2 weeks some where in the 100 ppm range and build up from thier,hard water sucks