Internship in (Medical) Marijuana? Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by Round Two, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Here's my situation...

I'm a sophomore/rising junior majoring in accounting with a cognate in finance and the end goal of owning my own dispensary/manufacturing business knowing both the industry and the business sides.

I wanted to spend the summer experiencing something new and I've been wanting to explore California first-hand, so I thought maybe I could learn and make enough to live on by getting an internship in the cannabis field. I thought there may be accounting firms that specialize in auditing dispensaries/manufacturers? Or that I might be able to find somewhere to be useful in a dispensary large enough to need an intern?

I've emailed the NC NORML chapter who sent me to a couple dispensaries (including Harborside). I emailed them and have since been sent to the ASA, whom I emailed a few minutes ago. So I'm kinda in the middle of my wild goose chase and looking for some advice.

If any of you blades know of somewhere/someone to talk to, or happen to be involved in the field and in need of an accounting intern, please let me know!

I have spent the past 4 years working at the local nursery and garden center learning about horticulture. I have spent innumerable hours researching the plant from seed to harvest, legal issues, business opportunities... I am determined to make a positive mark in the industry, and would love some help getting the ball rolling!

Thank you so much for your time, and I appreciate and info/advice you have to offer!

2. Your best bet is to know someone in the industry. The cannabis industry is very much about who, not what you know. Specially here in Cali , it's already pretty much filled.

3. That's why I thought asking on GC might be a good place to try. I thought that maybe someone on here would come across the post and happen to be or know someone in need of a good employee. I'm thinking it's going to come down to that one random hit on all these lines I'm putting out.

4. i think dispensaries need accountants cuz everyone thinks they know how a business works until they cant figure out how to properly understand a cash flow.... props to ya. let me know how it goes! (also an accounting major)

5. That's the hope!

I'd love to revolutionize things in a good way. I want to do things on a relatively large scale, but I want to do so organically, responsibly, without plastic, and turn it into something big but nice for the connoisseurs before Marlboro or someone comes along and cuts corners in typical corporate structure. But I need something to back me up. And having a $60k accounting job for startup funds or a fallback is a nice cushion, not to mention the benefits of knowing how every cent flows through the company.

I've been biding my time in college - keeping my grades up and avoiding letting myself go so to say. Now this internship is my chance to take the first real steps in getting in and meeting the people I need to meet.