Internship Essay Rough Draft

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Runningw235, Jan 10, 2013.

1. My prompt is to write a professional policy memorandum to a senior staffer in the National Economic Council.

I decided to address the overspending in DC. It has to be less than 500 words. This is what I through together in about 25 minutes.

Critiques that are helpful will be repped. Thanks. Suggestions would be great too.

Ms. Lew,
    \t
    As you are aware, Congress has the sole ability to borrow money on United States credit. Because the Public Debt Acts of 1939 and 1941 have no bearing on federal budget allocation, the nation’s debt ceiling has little or no effect on Congress’ continuous deficit spending. As a result the total amassed debt since 1939 has increased every term. My proposal is that because Congress is largely responsible for fiscal resource allocation, they should be encouraged to convene every six months during periods of deficit spending to discuss federal budget cuts. In order to practice viable fiscal policy, long term deficit spending must be addressed regularly.
    Although spending increases are sometimes necessary, if excessive spending is discussed frequently without reserve, situations in which the President and Congress are in stalemate over how to issue new debt may not be such a regular occurrence. The recurring fiscal cliffs are a result of procrastination and neglect with regard to overspending. By convening every six months during periods of deficit spending and bipartisanship, Congress may ensure revenue allocation is a going concern.

By the way, it is an internship in DC, so referencing the abolishing of taxation, or anything of the like will NOT go over well. Thanks for your help.

:wave:

2. Just do it the way Alex jones did it man. you'll be fine. youll just get asked on how you believe 9/11 went down

3. ughhh thanks.

4. just kidding...serious answers coming in 3..2..1..

5. You don't actually LIVE in DC do you? That would suck.

6. No, Im just working there this summer.

7. Why not advocate for a balanced budget amendment?

What you're proposing doesn't seem to have any teeth, or address why deficits are harmful.

I don't know the format of a policy memorandum though.

8. I don't think we should be totally prohibited from borrowing.

Im open to suggestions, though.

+rep

9. Which is why most proposals include an exception for war time or national emergencies, and would require a 2/3 or 3/4 majority to pass.

Or maybe consider that we shouldn't be allowed to borrow from ourselves since there's no consent of the debtors (future generations). Only allowing legitimate loans from other nations and bonds would remove some of the recklessness.

10. Not bad ideas at all.

Ill consider them. Thanks.

Do you think what I have written is well-communicated?

11. Your point about the Public Debt Acts isn't very clear.

Also I'm not sure if you're trying to say spending increases are sometimes necessary, or if deficit spending is sometimes necessary. You can increase spending and still have a balanced budget.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the "stalemate" in congress is manufactured political theater, so I don't think that's the problem at all. The problem is being able to issue debt in the future. We like to think we can continue to borrow money like this forever, but eventually we're going to have to face the facts. What exactly are they waiting for, an economic miracle that might never come?

12. Congress already talks about the debt more than twice a year. They talk about it all the time it, they just don't ever stop deficit spending because both sides like doing it. Having more goodies to pass around is beneficial to politicians from both parties.

13. Im basically trying to say that our debt ceilings have had no effect on how much we spend, and that Congress needs to be forced to convene to address deficit issues.

I just think it goes ignored.

Public Debt Acts-> Debt Ceilings -> =/= Feasible spending policy

I think I need to write more about cutting, specifically.

Im not going to edit it until tomorrow because Im tired.

14. But what do they cut? Nothing that Ive heard of.

Maybe Aaron was right. I could just propose an amendment regarding spending.

I guess their actual convening is useless.

I might just choose another topic.

15. I don't think anything will work to stop deficit spending, including an amendment. But out of the solutions I've seen proposed it seems like one of the better ones.

16. An amendment or what I wrote?

Honestly do you all think I should just start over? This is an important job oppurtunity for me.

17. I think you could find a less-cliche topic. The debt ceiling is the most talked about thing in the media right now, they might think you're intellectually lazy for choosing that. And I mean, you're asking for help on a pot forum, so would they be wrong? :smoking:

If you want to impress them I imagine a lesser known topic would work better.

Then again, for all I know they could be looking for effective use of trite platitudes and appeals to emotion.... depends on where the internship is at.

18. Well, I think you can just cut out the end sentence
    And just mention the balanced budget amendment if that's what you think is a good idea.

Because it's a repetition of what you said earlier. Usually it's good to reinforce the statement, but you've got a word limit....

19. Ms. Lew,
    \tAs you are aware, Congress has the sole ability to borrow money on United States credit. Because the Public Debt Acts of 1939 and 1941 have no bearing on federal budget allocation, the nation’s debt ceiling has little or no effect on Congress’ continuous deficit spending. As a result the total amassed debt since 1939 has increased every term. The labor market has become too dependent on government spending. For example, according to “Defense Spending Cuts: The Impact on Economic Growth and Job”s, defense spending cuts in the Budget Control Act of 2011 resulted in the loss of over 1 million private sector jobs (and 200,000 military jobs). We face a fiscal dilemma. Shall we overspend and suffer the long term consequences of an increasing national debt, or cut spending and bear the resulting increase in the current unemployment rate? Similar correlations can be found throughout the federal budget. The issue needs to be addressed.

My proposal is that because Congress is largely responsible for fiscal resource allocation, they should be encouraged to convene every six months during periods of deficit spending to discuss federal budget cuts. In order to practice viable fiscal policy, long term deficit spending must be addressed regularly.
    Although spending increases are sometimes necessary, if excessive spending is discussed frequently without reserve, situations in which the President and Congress are in stalemate over how to issue new debt may not be such a regular occurrence. The recurring fiscal cliffs are a result of procrastination and neglect with regard to overspending. By convening every six months during periods of deficit spending and bipartisanship, Congress may ensure revenue allocation is a going concern.

Updated. Probably sounds fucking incoherrent since its late.

I agree that the topic is really cliche. Fuck.

20. Okay cool. This isn't the only part of my application process, so hopefully Ill get the job regardless.

Im within the word limit so far, by the way.

Oh and in case you all were wondering the internship is actually through the White House, although I don't think most interns work on site.