Internet school.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by INTP, Jan 22, 2013.

1. #1 INTP, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
    Hey you thanks for viewing my thread. I've pretty much come here to ask you if you know of any, preferably free Internet sites that are educational about the fields of science, I pretty much crave knowledge and understand about everything. I want to know why and how everything does what it does. I plan on going to university to study science, but I am currently finishing a job apprenticeship.

Any field of science, I love physics and chemistry! So if you could just link me educational websites I will love you long time as you are helping me use my spare time for education and not gaming.

Thanks!

Tl;dr discuss free online courses or any means of free self education.

2. Khan Academy

has tons of material about stuff

Use that in conjunction with wikipedia and you pretty much have enough info to teach yourself most basic 101 courses in college.

If you ever have questions about science in any field or need direction PM me. I'll be happy to help

3. Thanks dude! I appreciate it.

4. Im thinking about going back to Uni but I need to work so may have to study online. Im mainly just typing rather than just typing "subbed" ")

Im also not sure what I want to study and what I may get sum credits for etc. Im not even sure if what I want to learn has a career path but I just know I want to learn something well more than just knowing anything maybe.

5. Is there a "what and want" theory?

Seeing i just typed that 6 x already ffs! :eek:

6. #9 INTP, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the posts! Maybe sticky if no other thread like this is already on the forum?

Im not exactly sure either, i'm leaning towards Physics or Chemistry, I have had some serious thinking about maybe getting a university scholarship through the Australian Defence Course. I would love to join the Air force and try at getting a chance at being a pilot for them. My ultimate goal is to hopefully land a job in the astronomy field. I want to enter outer space before i die man!

I dont understand what you mean hahaha could you elaborate?

7. #10 jayfoxpox, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
    coursera.org

you get a signed acknowledgement that you completed it and I think some schools accept it as credit, but probably a very few and probably done under more controlled settings.

8. Just google "introduction to _________ pdf" and you should get an awesome assortment of textbooks in pdf format for free. Thats what i started doing yesterday and one thing led to another and today i enrolled in two online university units - introduction to chemistry and algebra&trigonometry which will credit towards an engineering degree. Next semester im doing physics and calculus. WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The reason I actually came on grasscity was to tell someone my news because i just now finished enrolling and its 5.30am here (enrolling took me all night) and noones awake to share the news with, and right now im too excited to sleep.

My parents said they'd chip in to buy me a computer if i went back to uni, so tomorrow im gonna call them and make them regret ever making that promise muahahaha! I cant wait:D

Sorry for hijacking your thread with my rambling bs, i just didnt feel like it was important enough for me to start my own thread.

9. Thanks dude ill try it out! That's great that you've signed up for courses. I'd love to do that in the near future. How would I tell if an online course will give credits towards a Uni course in my country? I have no experience or knowledge on how uni works..

I hope your parents stay to their word and get you a laptop :D and no problem dude I love reading about what other people are doing and how they're trying to find education, it all helps me as well :)

10. Sorry bout that, its just me being high and slapping myself for ramberling :eek:

11. All good hahaha. What is the theory you're talking about?

12. Well we both live in the same country so you cando the exact same as i did and apply through open universities australia. All you need is your tax file number and if you dont have any money, like me, it will automatically apply you for a FEE HELP government loan which you dont have to start paying until youre making over ~48,000 a year. It was so easy to enroll all i needed was my tfn

13. op there are many many resources online to learn but most education programs that are online especially free ones cant get you a degree but if you dont mind that have fun learning thats AWSOME

14. Ok that's great! Are you doing the course completely from the net? The thing is I didn't complete year 12 because I was offered and apprenticeship, when I complete it, I will basically have the equivalent of a graduation certificate, but I'm just not sure if university will enrol me because they require completion of grade 12 and I don't want to wait another 2 years. It's great the government will help me out with it, I've been looking around and I'm really keen on Aerospace engineering and science.

15. I understand that, I won't be trying for a degree until I'm finished what I'm currently doing. But yeah just something to keep the brain active.

16. subbed for future reference. Anyone have any free courses on astrology/psychology?