Internet Radio and TV

Discussion in 'General' started by mem, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Does anyone else tune in? All you need is a media player (I recommend Winamp over all else... I've been using Winamp almost since it was created, I think I'm in love!) and an internet connection. You can choose from thousands of internet radio stations (or make your own, of course). www.winamp.com is the place to get it, if you don't have it already.

There is this one internet TV service called "Every Show Sucks" that has like 32 channels that constantly stream a bunch of TV shows 24/7. There's an Aqua Teen channel, Family Guy, South Park, Beavis & Butthead, the Simpsons, Futurama, Chappelle's Show, and a shitload of others. This is seriously the sweetest thing ever. The service is free, but a lot of people use it so the servers are usually full. You can jump in line and wait for an opening or you can subscribe via paypal for 5 bucks a month and go to the front of the line any time. I've had it for like 6 months now and it is fucking awesome... a better deal than cable TV and a MUCH better deal than buying the DVDs. The only drawbacks are that you can't choose which episode to watch, but the shows stream in order and most of the channels have every episode. The other drawback is that the image quality isn't dvd quality, but for 5 bucks a month I can't complain. ALSO, they have a forum where subscribers can request shows, report problems, and get tech support. These people are on the fucking ball with this service. I've turned a few friends on to this, and they love me for it. You can see for yourself at www.ess.tv

Internet radio on the other hand has helped me discover some awesome music that I would have never heard before, and 99% of internet radio stations are completely commercial free so you can just have cool music of any genre constantly streaming. I usually leave it on all day, and especially when I'm playing computer games and shit because it just runs in the background. Some cool stations I listen to are "Frostbyte Groove Lounge" which plays a bunch of chillout music, "Radio Rivendell" which plays soundtracks from fantasy movies like LoTR, and "Limbik Frequencies" which plays chillout and ambient. I also have a bunch of jazz, blues, classic rock, classical, etc stations that I can't remember the names of stored in my bookmarks list. There are like zillions of radio channels, so I wont bother naming any more.

Anyway, enough about that. Just thought I'd spread the word of these awesome services that most people have been missing out on. If you're using Winamp, just go to the media library (alt+L) and go down to Shoutcast TV or Shoutcast Radio to view the public channels.

The next step, if you enjoy these services, is to defend them. They won't be around for long if we don't, so stay in touch with what we're letting our governments get away with. I am a capitalist by all means, but I am also a libertarian and a defender of the arts. I believe music is something that should be shared. I'm not saying that people shouldn't sell it, but when you turn music into a commodity or a "product," you take away from the pure and simple concept of creating and sharing emotion and feeling via music, our most underrated invention of the senses.

2. i like it, but the low quality constant buffering, impossible to get into the channels w/o subscribtions and when you do getting kicked off by someone else with a subscription makes it a hassel

but the radio stations, i stream via xbox using xbox media center those are awsome

3. Internet connections and server speeds will certainly play a part in buffering issues. I've never really had any serious buffering problems but I'm on a 15mbps fiber optic line. Also, I can't say for sure what the case is like for non-subscribers to ESS in particular.

I guess my point is that if you want to try it, try it, and if you like it enough to shell out 5 bucks, shell out 5 bucks. :)

4. im on 15mbps fiber to buddy, and dunno if subscriptions affect anything

5. I don't know what to say then, I guess I've just had good luck with it. I'm not really sure where their servers are located.