Internet drops every couple minutes

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Sovereign Psyche, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Before signing up to a computer website to post the problem, I figured I'd try GC first.

My internet drops out every couple minutes. I can tell because every once in a while a webpage will take a while to load, my games will lose connection to the server, or my movies will stop streaming.

I've checked pingtest assuming I'd have a large amount of packet loss, but the most I've seen was 2% so far, often with 0%. My download and upload times are great, and my ping is great, and jitter is fairly acceptable. Maybe I'm just not catching it at the right times.

The internet light on my router is constantly blinking, so I thought maybe the problem was there, and I connected my PC directly to the modem, but that didn't work either.

It's to the point that playing BF3 is barely worth it because every time I'm doing something awesome I get kicked from the game.

Anybody with the same problem and hopefully a successful solution?

2. Are you on dsl? I had dsl and it would cut out constantly due to a hiccup on my line. It's a limitation of dsl that causes it. Basically, if one modem, router, or switch on your line hits a single error, the entire line cuts out and resets.

3. Time Warner Cable

4. I've got no idea then sorry. Maybe give your isp a ring?

5. Almost sounds like a issue with your router. I would see if there is a firmware update available.

Never mind just saw that it happens direct to the modem as well.

6. Have you tried using another computer and monitoring the connection?

If it happens then too you know it's a problem with what your shits connected to. Could be a bad ethernet cable, bad modem, bad cable connection or signal to the modem (splitters?), even a bad power supply to the modem.

If it works with other shit then you know it's your computer. Whether it's hardware or software.