Interesting video

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Yero, Oct 22, 2008.

1. might wanna write a little bout what the video is about dude, not many, including me, are bothered to click on random video links that we know nothing about

2. TED is usually pretty interesting stuff Androgenicx if you've never seen the talks, I suggest checking the website out, I think you especially will enjoy a lot of it

3. I've seen the "Paradox of Choice" talk before, its alright, but there are a lot of more interesting talks on the TED site.

4. agreed...I personally really enjoyed the one where the lady had a stroke and was self aware during it (for those who haven't seen it, this lady, who studies the brain for a living, has a stroke and reaches nirvana during the experience...definitely check it out) or the one about Anti-Aging

also, just to note, Kinetic being, your avatar picture was my desktop background for a long time but my computer crashed 2 months ago and I haven't been able to find the picture again (now it's one of the northern lights taken from space, you may have seen it) but yea, just thought i'd put it out there hah...amazing picture

5. My bad I assumed people knew what TED was. Anyway, I found it very interesting because it shows we are not as free as we think we. and even perhaps seeking freedom is not the best choice for us. Perhaps the US doctrine of spreading "freedom and democracy" is wrong? It also shows that all of our emotions are relative to what we compare them with. Being sad happy angry lonely etc. is all relative

6. Interesting in some ways, not very interesting to me. It shows little more than more evidence for the folly and pain and turmoil associated with compulsive thought.

In a world ruled by compulsive thinking, yes, choice leads to overthinking, overanalyzing, being plagued by your decisions and whether they are right or wrong, and fewer choices would cause less turmoil. There will still be turmoil, always, even if there were onyl 2 televisions to buy, the compulsive mind will still be plagued by thoughts of whether the grass is greener on the other side.

There is a difference between decision and choice however. Just like 'suicide' is to kill yourself, 'homicide' is to kill others, to 'decide' is to kill all other options and select the one you end up with after killing the others. You don't land up with what you intuitively want, you land up with the lesser of all the evils.

Freedom and choice is wonderful however when you transcend compulsive thought and choose rather than decide. Choice is to look at all the available options, look at only the positives of all of them, then assertively choose which one you want, take it, and never look back. Subtle difference, and many will not understand what I am attempting to say, but many will, and it makes all the difference in your satisfaction with the selection proccess.

And again, as I always say, all the pain and plaguing and grass-on-the-other-side wondering etc associating with everything, including choice, will cease to have ever existed once you transcend compulsive thought.

Id really love to watch the vid of the woman who become self aware through paralysis. At some point I want to go to jail just to further my spiritual practice - in a place so heavy with ego, egoic confrontation, and egoic identification with groups, being in a state of awareness, selflessness, and cosmic unity would be very hard, and therefore would make for incredible leaps and bounds in awareness if one manages to practice and successfuly stay transcended of the ego.