Interesting video about Harborside Medical in Oakland

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Old School Smoker, Aug 17, 2013.

1. #2 Sgtstadanko707, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
    That place is a joke. They are not there for the patients. Don't believe that bs. 70 dollar 8th of top shelf for 20% thc. Hash g
    For 40 bucks. 70k I product a day. Yeah. For the patients.

Oh I forgot to mention. Worst clones in the bay. Never buy from that place.

2. Is this the outfit that had its own reality TV show on the very anti-mj mainstream media? Fishy.

3. I watched the reality show about Harborside. My take after watching the series was not a negative one. In fact it left me with the impression that MMJ should be a viable alternative to traditional medicine and that the government has traditionally set up hurdles to hinder the progress of MMJ acceptance. As to the costs of thier meds...I have no idea but do agree with SGT, 70 bucks for an 1/8 is insane regardless of quality.

4. That's California compassion for ya

5. I got that from the show, along with the image of disorganized weirdos being the ones in charge of dispensaries. But I tried watching from the point of view of devil's advocate for the anti-crowd, and there was plenty of fodder in it for them.
    Compassion that would be better served by "someone else" was exactly the impression that show was supposed to make.
    And we see states with like 3 dispensaries run by the state as the "new model." No surprise there.

You get what you pay for but it can be expensive. They offer so much other shit to go along with you being a patient though (yoga, grow classes, care packages for those who cant afford, etc). You must not have had the "full experience". They have affordable meds too. And all the clones Ive gotten have been pretty nice.

Dont really like the dudes who run it they see fake as fuck to me but the overall service has been pretty good in my experience. Then again I dont really buy tree there though. Only when I feel like treating myself.

7. #8 MrTea, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013

In my experience with dispensaries, it's not the mainstream shops and the ones everyone has heard about that carry the best product, it's the ones you find when walking down the street and you see a dinky green cross mashed in a random 1 block long shopping mall.  I live in Denver, so there are always random dispensaries you've never heard of or seen and you go in and find the dankest of the dank for $25/30.  Harborside Medical is For the patients?  Bullshit.

Didnt say they were all for the patient but that dude was exaggerating. Yea they make money but its a fucking business isnt that the point?

Most of the smaller places Ive been too around here havent been that great but I also havent been to that many. Its whatever. 

9. Guy with pigtails......BEAST

ACTUALLY, dispensaries are supposed to be non-profit.  Harborside claims to be highly involved in the community financially, but I highly doubt that.

11. Let me add some perspective from a different side to the topic.
    Business side

My background is a former business owner (retail), now on the board of directors for a non profit.  I do not take a salary or compensation for that service.

Having watched Harborside's reality show I think the owner (pigtail guy) really does care about the patients that use Harborside.  However business wise he treats his employees with kid gloves.  When an employee gets ripped on the job they are doing a disservice to the business and makes them look like a dysfunctional group of misfits.

He also has a what seems like a pretty big staff on the admin side of the business.  So if you take that into account and he pays them a decent living wage, of course paying himself and his brother a more than modest salary, along with the overhead costs of doing business you can probably easily justify the costs of their meds.
    They have also complained about the taxes levied on their business (and the other dispensaries as well), which will jack up their overhead as well.

I do not know the non profit laws in CA so I can only make a guess on how it works.  Best guess is you setup some "give backs" to the patients to provide the look and feel of a non profit while paying generous salaries, you end up with a zero profit at the end of the year.

Bottom line.  If you don't like their prices and services find another business that you can support.  Just like TV.  Don't like it turn it off.

12. I have worked with many coops in the Bay Area so let me tell you from first hand knowledge that that place is a joke. Offering growers 1k a lb and then walking back in to see my weed being sold for 300/oz. that is not compassion. That is just a scam artists and pig tails ( Steve DeAngelo) is one if the best. Don't belive all his Bs. He is just a smoth talker like Obama. Tells the people what they want to hear then turn around and do the exact opposite. I would advices no one to go there. There are hundreds of better clubs in the area.

13. Do you mean ripped as in stoned or ripped off?

14. Stoned.  The episode was 4/20 day.

15. @[member="Old School Smoker"] Well, I thought the vid was entertaining. It paired perfectly with an evening joint :laughing:

Thanks for the post. 

16. #17 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    [​IMG]    [​IMG]

17. go to berkeley for my bud. agree with  <span><span>Sgtstadanko707</span></span> haha

18. I heard that. I pay 50 an 8th for top shelf delivered to my house. Some places around where I live are charging $25 a gram. I say damn sam who the hell you think I am? That better be 30% THC for 25 a gram. Or rolled in keif or soaked in oil.