Interested in growing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ImmortalGropher, Feb 19, 2010.

1. So i've been doing a little bit of looking around and stuff...would I be wrong to assume that growing is hard?

It seems to me the most I need for a successful grow would be:

1. female seeds
    2. lots of light
    3. water
    4. place to grow them
    5. check the pH levels

That all really doesn't seem that hard. I've got this 1 gallon fish tank I used for my fishy before I got his big boy tank :eek:. I was planning on using that as my "growing pot" I figure I could collect 4-5 seeds and grow them in this thing, maybe a bit less 3 or so. I believe it has the room to hold a few at least without root tangling.

It's a plastic tank if that means anything.

I was planning to get a small bag of some good soil or go dig some up and put it in there, put the seeds in holes and then water them. Not sure about lighting, I just know that I need a CFL, wattage-wise is what I'm not too sure about on this whole thing. I'm no gardener! :p

If that is all it truly takes besides lighting cycles and pH testing, it honestly doesn't seem that hard at all.

If this plan would be good to the GC community, perhaps I'll give it a shot. The seeds I have are tiger striped looking so I would assume they are female seeds.

Only questions I would have after that are about curing and drying.

2. I'm 13 days into my grow and first of all growing isn't really all that hard just takes knowledge patience and alot of good timing. (i've already had a slight nute burn because of bad timing) The other thing i know is it is a learning experience... Don't come in with super high hopes get a grow or two in figure out what it takes and get a good watering and feeding schedule down thats suits both you and your plants their is no perfect one. Get some good nutrients (feritlizers) you wont need them for awhile but you will need them... as for lights 100 ACTUAL CFL watts for first plant 30-50 actual watts there after 6500k 5000k Veg spectrum 2700k 3000k Flower spectrum. Note tho water your cups or whatever BEFORE you put in your seedlings... Flush the cup let it sit for 15 min then plant...

3. Btw the ideal spacing is 1 cubic foot a plant however i would suggest slightly more.

4. Having a clear fish tank around your roots is a no-no. Light is not good for roots. You'd have to wrap it in something that would keep out all/most light.

5. I probably need to do a little more research but I'm just trying to figure out if those basic steps are correct. The things I don't know yet do involve lighting cycles and feeding cycles, not too sure what to feed them, any specific fert or just any.

Are you saying that 100w CFL of the 2.7-3k specturm would be what I need?

Well I would think that if there is enough soil in there, the roots won't see anything. I'd be keeping it outside in a dark shed that doesn't see much light haha. Spose it wouldn't be an issue to put something around it though.

6. You need to do alot more research into growing, it is relatively easy if you've done prior homework but even at that you'll still most probably run into problems but you'll be better equipped to handle them with RESEARCH..
    and who the fuck told you that tiger striped seed are female??
    Dude, someones lying to you, unless they are feminized seeds, then you got a 50/50 chance of female.
    Hope this helps:p

7. I read that on here, actually. (about the seeds)

Yes, I'm aware doing research helps, which is why I'm researching if the general idea I've got is correct or not ;).

8. I'm a new grower too, so don't think i mean any rudeness by this: When I was researching I went to each thread under the grow section of the forums and in each one there are Stickied threads with VITAL information from everything to basic growing to scroging etc etc... I then printed all of those stickies. I highlighted all relative information and built my grow box around that. Then while i built I germinated and followed the endless step by step guides to get me from seed to sprout. 99% of the information you need is at the top of each thread read them all. The only thing I couldn't find before was information on wiring lights and fans but I did post a response to someones question here within this thread concerning that. hope that helps

9. The easiest light cycle to do is 24/0 for however long you want (I do 60-70 days), and then 12/12 until they're done (amber/cloudy trichs). Some people do 18/6 instead of 24/0 to save energy, but the plant will grow faster under constant light during veg.

For feeding, I use Fox Farm Tiger Bloom, and once I change to flowering (12/12 light cycle) I water it, then the next time they need watering, I add 1 tablespoon per gallon of water to start out (I also add unsulfured blackstrap molasses when feeding) and you can raise it slowly as flowering goes on. But I only feed every other watering, because you don't want to overfeed.

10. #10 ipack, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
    absolutely, foil tape would be my suggestion.. or you could spring for the dollar and get a black plastic one

one plant per pot. period.. especially in a one gallon container. I would guess your first harvest to be around an eighth of an ounce for 3 plants in a one gallon container.. trust me dude.. I've seen root masses engulf one gallon containers from one plant. There's no way to control nutrient uptake or PH, your plants may make it to a whopping 6 inches tall apiece.

there is absolutely no way to look at a seed from a random bag you know nothing about and determine if it's male or female.. if someone on here is saying that, I'd love a linkback to the original post.

11. I'm with cflgrower. You don't have much knowledge on growing and there are some wrong statements in your first post. First off no clear pots. Second the pot needs drain holes which I'm guessing by its very nature, a fish tank does not have. Third, you'd be hard pressed to do one decent sized plant in a 1 gallon pot. No way will 2 or more plants do well. One plant per pot. Pot size should be one gallon per foot. Fourth, do not dig up soil to plant with. Also don't use miracle gro. Fifth, there's no way to tell the sex by looking at a seed.

12. I was a bit wrong on the seeds but in the sticky on here it says the most viable seeds are the brown spotted ones or something, so i figured if I look for those, then there might be a high probability they're the right ones. It's not like I'm claiming to know anything about growing. I'm interested, hence the title.

After reading the beginner's guide, it was made apparent that I would need something with holes, not a big deal.

I figure if I have the basics down, I can then lead up with questions regarding during the grow and after it. While I'm here, I may as well ask what the typical yield is for a 1 gallon 1 foot tall plant?

Also, could you go into what you mean by 24/0 and whatnot?

13. Viable means ones that will be likely to grow, not which ones will be female.

Typical yield is a sketchy question, nobody knows. Depends on the plant, the lights, the growing medium, problems you come across along the way, etc.

14. 24/0 means lights on 24 hours a day the other way is 18/6 lights on 18 hours a day off 6 the only reason for this is energy conservation plants grow better in the 24/0 cycle when you move into flowering your plants will be on a 12 on 12 off light cycle

15. I'm currently reading grandpa's thread which sounds pretty good and useful so far. The most expensive parts of growing seem to be the lights...From what I can gather you need two different types of lights after your previous post purp.

I need one spectrum for veg and one for flowering. both being 100w, is that correct?

16. 6500k spectrum for veg and 2700k spectrum for flowering (that's when you induce the plant to make buds by switching the light to 12/12). and the 100w number is a rule of thumb PER PLANT and those are actual watts.. read up on kamel's CFL guide for more on that

17. 100w for one plant, an additional 50w for each additional plant.

Those have to be actual watts not equivalent, like CFLs like to advertise.

18. It's been said 100 actual watts for your first plant and 30-50 watts there after the spectrums are 6500k and 5000k for veg and 2700k and 3000k for flowering (all talking about CFL lighting here of course)

19. on another note, there is no such thing as too much CFL lighting, I guarantee you the results from 100w actual+ per plant will be more than 150 for 2. but they're right.. it is 50 additional per extra plant as the ROT :bongin:

20. Will do.

Vegitative state is the state of going from seed to sprout, yes? As soon as it turns into a sprout is when you switch lights for the flowering phase, I'm guessing.

I would hope (after lots of researching and really nailing down a specific spot in the shed) that I could be able to get at least an oz out of a grow. Specially if I use that method of bending the stems with wire and whatnot.