Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Interactions of Cannabinoids with prescribed medications

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by domerdu, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Well I don't profess to be an expert on the matter so I will acquiesce to an article in the "Pharmacy Today Magazine" August 2022 an interesting article written by Loren Bonner address the issues in the interaction of medical marijuana with prescription drugs.

There is not a lot of information on the relationship of cannabinoids and the prescription drugs you are taking as there has been very few studies made in this field due to the nature of the beast. What has been learned and published on this matter was done and published by "CANN-DIR, the free resource from Penn State University for cannabinoids and drug interaction, which can be accessed at www.cann-dir.psu.edu/#/".

It seems that the explosion in the cannabis industry has reached the eyes and ears of the Pharmaceutical industry. Your local Pharmacists is not a doctor and there fore there is no patient/Dr. privileges. this may not be a big deal however it is a chink in the armor that can lead one down a slippery slope.

One particular incident reported in the article was on the medication "Warfarin" (used to treat blood clots) the article states "Cannabinoid products could affect how warfarin is metabolized, either reducing its effectiveness or leading to toxicity, such as bleeding"

We are in a new era of discovery which due to federal regulations has not really been explored especially in the field of drug interaction. Food for thought!
    All quotes were taken from the article

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. there is also this one
    projectCBD drug primer
    Project CBD Releases Primer on Cannabinoid-Drug Interactions | Project CBD

• Like Like x 2
  3. Galaxy420, Thank you for additional information.
    These are new horizons and should the myopic medical community not wake up and provide empirically data then they are forgetting a very important part of the healing process of their patients.
    Take 2 APC's and see me in the morning.............lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. thanks for the post , did not see it till now however and again - thank you

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. similar to how grapefuit via cyp450 metabolism can effect some meds too ... there too are lots of cannabimimetic agents in the diet that effect endocannabinoid system tone and how the body maintains over all homeostasis

6. #7 Lakisui, Jun 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    Hey there! Thanks for posting this, it's always important to be aware of potential drug interactions, especially regarding something as popular as weed.

While cannabis can have many therapeutic benefits, consulting with a medical professional before combining it with any prescribed medications is best. I always try to get an appointment before buying meds, as I did before using my amoxicillin manufacturer coupon. What about you guys?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Go ahead ask a fucking doctor ,,,,,,,, First and for most they will cover their ASSES.
    If your in a legal state
    First response would you be willing to do DRUG REHAB. answer is fuck no
    Second is if your doing pain meds expect those meds to be pulled.
    Third is trying to get you to take CBD gummies or droplets.
    All those responses are before they ask you why you smoke weed, how much weed do you smoke.
    And then you might be getting sent to metal health.
    There is not doctor in the world will be willing to risk his Lic over a drug that is deemed federally level one illegal drug.

• Like Like x 1
  8. no DOC in America too has been taught even one seconds worth of plants as medicine type teachings ... no where in med school are pl;ants taught to be treated as meds - Especially Cannabis plant , it is Fed illegal

• Winner Winner x 1