Instrumentals to smoke to?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by ElectricBlack, Oct 17, 2008.

1. I just fucking love going out in the woods on a sunny day and simply relaxing/smoking to soothing instrumental songs. Anybody else like doing this also? Post your favorite songs if you have any, always looking for more stuff to add to the playlist. :)

This ones my favorite at the moment. Boards of Canada- Dayvan Cowboy. The video alone is great too, I love the beginning... skydiving from space.
    :smoke:

2. Explosions in the Sky

3. Look up the band Mogwai. Some of their songs contain no lyrics and are perfect blazing and relaxing songs, IMO.

4. Anything by John Butler, best folk guitarist ever

John Butler - Ocean
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0
    This is a shorter version of Ocean, the album version is 9 minutes. He'll change the song around every time he plays it, its cool to see how it evolves

5. Anything by Al DiMeola.

6. Hip-Hop Style:

The Heliocentrics
    Flying Lotus

Jazz Style:

Return To Forever
    The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Rock Style:

Tortoise
    Godspeed You Black Emperor!

7. oh fuck how could I forget about Godspeed...

good call Night.

8. wow, no one has mentioned Pink Floyd yet... there instrumental stuff is trippy as fuck!

me, myself, like to listen to contemporary classical instrumental shit. Like Philip Glass and Meredith Monk and Elliot Carter. And some film scores are amazing :).

9. The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

Find the live version from At Fillmore East

10. If you like Boards of Canada, check out Tycho (just google "tycho myspace").

I would also have to reccomend Four Tet. The albums Dialogue, Rounds and Pause, especially.

11. godspeed you black emperor
    bonobo
    nightmares on wax
    caspian
    saxon shore
    red sparrowes
    explosions in the sky
    six parts seven
    el ten eleven
    don caballero

a lot more out there, but too many to list. look them up though, great music.

12. Listen to Shpongle. They are a weird, ambient trance type band and they supposedly write their shit while they are stoned. I recommend the song 'Shpongle Spores.'

Mastodon. Brent Hinds, the guitarist, writes the crazy lyrics and guitar parts while he's high. I recommend 'Bladecatcher,' 'Ole Nessie,' and 'Hearts Alive.'

Ever tried stoner metal? Check out some Sleep, Electric Wizard, Goatsnake, Bongzilla, and Weedeater.

Some other bands that are AWESOME while you're stoned:

Devin Townsend (Everything he's ever done.)
    Pink Floyd (My favorite band)
    Tool (Another of my favorites. Deep, complex stuff.)
    Camel (Listen to the song 'Air Born.')
    Mr. Bungle (Real trippy shit, for real.)
    The Alan Parsons Project (The 'I Robot' album is great.)
    Dream Theater (Try the song 'Metropolis.)
    Three Six Mafia (Some good weed smokin' rap straight from Memphis.)
    Gangsta Pat (Another nice smokin' rapper from Memphis.)
    Playa Fly (Good chilled out rap.)

Ever listened to any ambient music? Try that out. It's music made to chill you out.

13. Listen to the song One Of These Days by Pink Floyd. It sounds so cool, and is very trippy.

14. Joe satriani
    surfing with the alien album!!!