Installing Venting/Fans Question/Problem

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by whiskey, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I am trying to work out the details of a closet grow. I live in a very small studio apartment and the coat closet I have that I do not use I think would be almost perfect. I am working out the details now and hope to have some diagrams and pictures later today for feedback, but this morning I encountered my first problem.

It has to do with venting and installing fans. The door of my closet is made out of some cheap shit material, I just have a feeling if I cut into it that the entire door is going to split. Then again, I have never really done anything like this, so I have no idea. My other option would be to install fans through the wall, but I have no idea how to do that. What kind of tools would I need?

For those of you who may have encountered the same situation, what did you do? (and do you have any tips and what not because I am going to need them)

((I want to add, even though I called it a studio apartment, my mother is my landlord and we own the studio, so I can do what I want to it, and she's chill))

2. Buy a second door that fits, mod it (intake down low, exhaust up high, locking doorknob), and keep your apt door for when you move out.
    Your mom wouldnt mind you cutting holes in the walls?

Drill
    Dremel
    Saw, basic tools.

3. I can definately get a door and modify it if I can find the right size, it's an odd sized door, actually that would be much easier, now I just have to learn how to install a door. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, my mother wouldn't mind me cutting into the walls, but I would rather use a different door and save the money down the line when the walls would need repair.

Thank you for the advice!

4. No problem.

Installing doors arent hard, you will most likely want a drill for it though. Maybe some new door brackets, ect.

5. Thanks, everyone has to learn sometime right?

I think the only actual tool I own, other than the basic, is a dremel, but I can get my hands on the other things no problem. I wish that I had someone who could help me, but I don't want people to know what I am doing.

6. I know the feeling. Internet is your friend :)

7. yea and there is no need to get a new door as u said it is a weird size... go for some mdf.... cheap and easy.. also easy ro cut the fan holes in because it is thin... remember planning is essential.. but u seem to be fully aware of tht.!

8. The MDF won't split when I cut it?

I actually like the idea of the new door, if it's easy to install and uninstall I could easily change it out if I had a party or what not and the lights were off.

I am doing all the planning that I can and reading everything I can find on the internet. I've been reading through these forums and guides for weeks now, lol

9. good man.. good luck!

10. Hey, I also live in an apartment. I cut a 6" hole in the ceiling and installed the ducting etc.. to the "attic". I like it this way because noise is less noticable.

I think a new door is best for you though, since your mom is the landlord. When i move out of my apartment i'm just going to do a sloppy patch job just so it looks good in the closet.

11. Honestly, I wish that I was able to do that, but at my place there is no 'attic' space at all. However, I am on the top floor and my closet it's only roof up there. I'm sure they would notice a hole though!

At my old place, I would have been able to do it like you described, but not here. It's a bummer.